Child disability benefit (CDB)


The child disability benefit (CDB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to families who care for a child under age 18 with a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions.


To get the CDB:

If you are already getting the CCB for your child who is eligible for the DTC, you do not need to apply for the CDB. You will get it automatically.


A child is eligible for the DTC when a medical practitioner certifies, on Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, that the child has a severe and prolonged impairment in physical or mental functions, and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) approves the form. You can send the form to the CRA at any time during the year.

For general questions related to the CDB, call 1-800-387-1193 or for information related to the DTC, call 1-800-959-8281.

How much you can expect to receive

Your CDB payments are calculated using the following information:

Every July, your CDB payments are recalculated based on your AFNI from the previous year.

For example, July 2023 to June 2024 payments are based on your adjusted family net income from your 2022 tax return. July 2022 to June 2023 payments are based on your adjusted family net income from your 2021 tax return.

For the period of July 2023 to June 2024, you could get up to $3,173 ($264.41 per month) for each child who is eligible for the DTC.

The benefit starts being reduced when the adjusted family net income is greater than $75,537. The reduction is calculated as follows:

     You can use the child and family benefits calculator to estimate how much you will get.


If this is the first time you’re getting the CDB, the CRA will automatically calculate your payments for the current and two previous benefit years. The benefit year runs from July of one year to June of the following year. For years before that, send a written request to your tax centre.

To continue getting benefits

You must remain eligible for the CCB and your child must also remain eligible for the DTC.

To avoid delays or interruption in your benefit payments, you need to do your taxes on time every year, even if you had no income at all or your income is tax exempt. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also need to do their taxes on time every year. The CRA uses the information from your income tax and benefit return to calculate your benefit and credit payments.

To make sure you are getting the right amount of benefits and credits, you must also keep your personal information updated with the CRA.

Leaving an abusive or violent situation? Get benefit and credit payments without putting yourself, or your family, in danger. For more information, go to Getting benefits and credits when in an abusive or violent situation.

Related services and information

Page details

Date modified: