Email notifications from the CRA – Businesses
Email notifications from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) let you know when important changes are made on your account and when you have mail to view in My Business Account.
When you sign up to receive email notifications, we will stop sending your mail on paper. If you need a paper copy, you can sign in to My Business Account and print it.
Email notifications you will receive
When you sign up for email notifications from the CRA, we will send you an email to confirm your registration. After that, we will send you an email when:
- changes are made to:
- your address
- your banking information for direct deposit
- your authorized representatives information
- your owner name
- your owner SIN
- your owner telephone number
- your owner language preference
- your account specific language preference
- mail sent to you by the CRA has been returned, meaning you need to update your mailing address
- you have new CRA mail to view in My Business Account
CRA mail you will receive electronically
Some examples of mail you can currently receive online include:
- notices of assessment
- notices of reassessment
- PD7A – statement of account for current source deductions
- most statements and letters
The CRA adds more items to our email notification service every year. However, some mail cannot be sent electronically, and will continue to be mailed on paper.
Registering for email notifications from the CRA
There are four ways to register to receive email notifications from the CRA:
- sign in to My Business Account and under “Profile” select "Manage notification preferences"
- have your authorized representative register or sign in to Represent a Client to access My Business Account, and under “Profile” select "Manage notification preferences"
- provide your email address when using the Corporation Internet Filing service and GST/HST NETFILE service
- provide your email address when registering for a corporation income tax, GST/HST, or payroll deductions account in Business Registration Online
You can add up to three email addresses for each program account in My Business Account. This will allow you to add your representative, accountant, or whomever you need to be informed.
The email addresses you provide are the ones we will use to tell you that important changes were made on your account and that you have new mail to view.
You are responsible for making sure we have your correct email address(es) at all times.
After you register for email notifications
Once you register, we will send a confirmation email to the address you gave us. Depending on how you registered, you should receive your confirmation email within the following timelines:
- immediately if you registered through My Business Account, Represent a Client, or Business Registration Online
- within eight business days if you provided your email address on your electronic return (Corporation Internet Filing Service or GST/HST NETFILE)
If you do not get a confirmation email, sign in to My Business Account and check the email address(es) on your profile. If an email address is wrong, update it. If the addresses are correct, check your junk mail folder for an email from the CRA.
How to know if the email notification is from the CRA
Emails sent from the CRA’s email notification service will have the sender name Canada Revenue Agency / Agence du Revenu du Canada.
The CRA’s email notifications will not do the following:
- Contain a link
- Ask you for personal or financial information
- Request payment by prepaid credit cards or gift cards
- Use aggressive language or tone
- Threaten arrest or to send police
For more information, go to Scam prevention and the CRA.
Other email notifications you can receive about your business account
You might receive an email notification from the CRA for other reasons, even if you are not registered for email notifications.
- Audit enquiries – If you included an email address on your original audit enquiry submission form, we will email you when our response is available for you to view in My Account or My Business Account.
- Enquiries service – If you included an email address when you submitted an enquiry, we will email you to let you know when our response is available for you to view in My Business Account.
- Date modified: