Email notifications from the CRA – Businesses
New email notifications for businesses starting June 25, 2018
On June 25, 2018, we will start sending email notifications when important changes are made to your business account.
If you registered for our "Online mail" service before May 14, 2018, you are automatically registered to receive email notifications from the CRA. If you don’t want to receive them, log into My Business Account and select "Notification preferences" to remove your email address.
Email notifications from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) let you know you when you have mail to view in My Business Account and when important changes are made on your account.
When you sign up to receive email notifications, we will stop sending your mail on paper. If you need a paper copy, you can log in to My Business Account and print it.
Email notifications you will receive
When you sign up for email notifications from the CRA, we will send you an email to confirm your registration. After that, we will send you an email when:
- you have new mail to view in My Business Account
- your address is changed
- your banking information for direct deposit is changed
- mail sent to you by the CRA has been returned, meaning you need to update your mailing address
Mail you will receive electronically
Some examples of mail you can currently receive online include:
- notices of assessment
- notices of reassessment
- PD7A – statement of account for current source deductions
- most statements and letters
The CRA adds more items to our email notification service every year. However, some mail cannot be sent electronically, and will continue to be mailed on paper.
How to register to receive email notifications from the CRA
There are four ways to register to receive email notifications from the CRA:
- log in to My Business Account and select "Notification preferences"
- have your authorized representative register or log in to Represent a Client to access My Business Account, and then select "Notification preferences"
- provide your email address when using the Corporation Internet Filing service and GST/HST NETFILE service
- provide your email address when registering for a corporation income tax, GST/HST, or payroll deductions account in Business Registration Online
You can add up to three email addresses for each program account in My Business Account. This will allow you to add your representative, accountant, or whomever you need to be informed.
The email addresses you provide are the ones we will use to tell you that you have new mail to view or that important changes were made to your account.
You are responsible for making sure we have your correct email address(es) at all times.
After you register for email notifications
Once you register, we will send a confirmation email to the address you gave us. Depending on how you registered, you should receive your confirmation email within the following timelines:
- immediately if you registered through My Business Account, Represent a Client, or Business Registration Online
- within 8 business days if you filed your return electronically (Corporation Internet Filing Service or GST/HST NETFILE)
If you do not get a confirmation email, log in to My Business Account and check the email addresses on your profile. If an email address is incorrect, update it. If the addresses are correct, check your junk mail folder for an email from the CRA.
How to know if the email notification is from the CRA
We will never use aggressive language or tone in our emails. We will never ask you to confirm personal information, click on a link, or for prepaid credit cards. We will never threaten to arrest you or to send police.
We never send you sensitive or confidential information by email, nor do we ask you to send us sensitive or confidential information through email.
For more information, find out how to protect yourself against fraud.
Other email notifications you can receive about your business account
You might receive an email notification from the CRA for other reasons, even if you are not registered for email notifications.
- Audit enquiries – If you included an email address on your original audit enquiry submission form, we will email you when our response is available for you to view in My Account or My Business Account.
- Enquiries service – If you included an email address when you submitted an enquiry, we will email you to let you know when our response is available for you to view in My Business Account.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: