SR&ED Self-Assessment and Learning Tool
Date: November 30, 2021
The Self-Assessment and Learning Tool (SALT) helps you understand how to prepare to apply for Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax incentives.
The SALT helps you:
- understand the definition of SR&ED
- understand what kinds of work are considered SR&ED
- understand if your project might include SR&ED work
- estimate how much of your expenditures are considered SR&ED
- estimate the investment tax credits that you might be eligible for
The tool does not save or transfer any information to the Canada Revenue Agency.
Detailed SR&ED eligibility requirements
You can find more information about eligible work and allowable expenditures here:
- Get a deeper understanding of how work qualifies as SR&ED in Guidelines on the eligibility of work for scientific research and experimental development (SR&ED) tax incentives
- Learn more about expenditures you can claim
Previous version of the tool
Before November 2021, the SR&ED Self-Assessment and Learning Tool consisted of fillable PDF forms. It was updated to an online version to make it faster and easier to assess your eligibility. The PDF version of the tool should no longer be used since it will not receive any updates.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: