Ontario – Provincial corporation tax
The Ontario basic income tax rate is 11.5%.
The Ontario small business deduction reduces Ontario basic income tax, resulting in a lower tax rate of 3.2%. Before January 1, 2020, the rate was 3.5%.
If the rate changes during the tax year, you have to base your calculation on the number of days in the year that each rate is in effect.
Reporting the tax
The T2 return includes the following Ontario corporation taxes:
You can use Schedule 500, Ontario Corporation Tax Calculation, to calculate your Ontario basic income tax. Schedule 500 is a worksheet and you do not have to file it with your return.
On line 270 of Schedule 5, Tax Calculation Supplementary – Corporations, enter the amount of basic income tax calculated.
The Ontario transitional tax debits and credits have provided a transition from the Corporations Tax Act (Ontario) for corporations with different income tax attributes for federal and Ontario purposes. Credits are no longer available.
Claiming the credits
Ontario offers different tax credits. Details of each credit can be found in the following pages and their associated schedules:
- Business-research institute tax credit
- Capital gains refund
- Community food program donation tax credit for farmers
- Co-operative education tax credit
- Corporate minimum tax credit
- Credit union tax reduction
- Foreign tax credit
- Innovation tax credit
- Political contributions tax credit (only carry‑forward amounts are allowed)
- Qualifying environmental trust tax credit
- Refundable media tax credits
- Book publishing tax credit
- Computer animation and special effects tax credit
- Interactive digital media tax credit
- Film and television tax credit
- Production services tax credit
- Regional opportunities investment tax credit
- Research and development tax credit
- Tax credit for manufacturing and processing
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: