Replacement property

In some cases, you can postpone or defer including a capital gain or recapture of capital cost allowance (CCA) in calculating income. You might sell a business property and replace it with a similar one, or your property might be stolen, destroyed, or expropriated, and you replace it with a similar one. To defer reporting the gain or recapture of CCA, you (or a person related to you) must acquire the replacement property within the specified time limits and use the new property for the same or similar purpose.

You can also defer a capital gain or recapture of CCA when you transfer property to a corporation, a partnership.


During the current tax year, Steven bought a building to use for his business. The total cost was $95,000 (the sum of the $90,000 total purchase price and the $5,000 total expenses connected with the purchase). The details are as follows:

Cost details
Building value $75,000
Land value $15,000
Total purchase price $90,000
Expenses connected with the purchase:  
Legal fees $3,000
Land transfer taxes $2,000
Total fees $5,000

Steven's business has a December 31 year-end. In 2019, Steven's income was $6,000 and his expenses were $4,900. Therefore, his net income before deducting CCA was $1,100 ($6,000 $4,900). Steven wants to deduct as much CCA as he can.

Before Steven can fill in his CCA schedule in Area A of form T2125, he has to calculate the capital cost of the building. Since land is not depreciable property, he has to calculate the part of the expenses connected with the purchase that relates only to the building. To do this, he has to use the following formula:

($75,000 ÷ $90,000) × $5,000 = $4,166.67

Example 2
Building value 75 000,00 $
Related expenses 4 166,67 $
Capital cost of the building 79 166,67 $

Steven enters $79,166.67 in column 3 of Area C and $15,833.33 ($15,000 + $833.33) on line 9923 of Area F as the capital cost of the land.


Steven did not own property before the current year. Therefore, he has no UCC to enter in column 2 of Area A.

Steven acquired his property during the current year. Therefore, he is subject to the half-year rule.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: