Line 20700 – Registered pension plan (RPP) deduction

A registered pension plan (RPP) is a pension plan that has been set up by your employer, and registered by the CRA, to provide you with a pension when you retire.

RPP amounts can include:

  • contributions for current service
  • contributions for past service for 1990 or later years
  • contributions for past service for 1989 or earlier years while a contributor
  • contributions for past service for 1989 or earlier years while not a contributor

You can deduct the total of your RPP contributions for current service, or for past service for 1990 or later years, on your 2021 Income Tax and Benefit Return. However, you cannot carry forward the amount not deducted to 2022 or later years.

In some cases, you may be able to deduct for 2021 only part of the past service contributions you made for 1989 or earlier years. If this applies, you can carry forward the amount not deducted to 2022 or later years.


Pension benefits you earn on a past-service basis for 1990 or later years may cause a past-service pension adjustment (PSPA).

See Guide T4040, RRSPs and Other Registered Plans for Retirement, to find out how much you can deduct if any of the following applies:

  • You contributed more than $3,500 to an RPP and your information slips show a past-service amount for service before 1990
  • You contributed an amount to an RPP in a previous year for a period before 1990 and you have not fully deducted that amount


You may be able to deduct the contributions you made to a pension plan in a foreign country. To find out how much you can deduct, see line 20600

Filling out your Income tax and Benefit Return

Enter on line 20700 of your return the total of all amounts shown in box 20 of your T4 slipsbox 032 of your T4A slips, or on your union or RPP receipts.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: