Line 20700 – Registered pension plan (RPP) deduction
A registered pension plan (RPP) is a pension plan that has been set up by your employer, and registered by the CRA, to provide you with a pension when you retire.
RPP amounts can include contributions for:
- current service
- past service for 1990 or later years
- past service for 1989 or earlier years while a contributor
- past service for 1989 or earlier years while not a contributor
You can deduct the total of your RPP contributions for current service, or for past service for 1990 and later years, on your 2022 Income Tax and Benefit Return. However, you cannot carry forward the amount not deducted to 2023 or later years.
For 2022, you may be able to deduct only part of the past service contributions that you made for 1989 or earlier years. If so, you can carry forward the amount not deducted to 2023 or later years.
Pension benefits you earn on a past-service basis for 1990 or later years may cause a past-service pension adjustment (PSPA).
See Guide T4040, RRSPs and Other Registered Plans for Retirement, to find out how much you can deduct if you contributed:
- more than $3,500 to an RPP and your information slips show a past-service amount for service before 1990
- an amount to an RPP in a previous year for a period before 1990 and you have not fully deducted that amount
You may be able to deduct the contributions that you made to a pension plan in a foreign country. To find out how much you can deduct, see line 20600.
Completing your tax return
Enter on line 20700 of your return the total of all amounts from box 20 of your T4 slips and box 032 of your T4A slips, or the amounts from your union or RPP receipts.
Forms and publications
- Income Tax Package – Guide, Return, Schedules
- Form RC267, Employee Contributions to a United States Retirement Plan for Temporary Assignments
- Form RC268, Employee Contributions to a United States Retirement Plan for Cross-border Commuters
- Form RC269, Employee Contributions to a Foreign Pension Plan or Social Security Arrangement for Non-United States Plans or Arrangements
- Guide T4040, RRSPs and Other Registered Plans for Retirement
- Interpretation Bulletin IT-167R6 ARCHIVED, Registered Pension Funds or Plans – Employee's Contributions
- Date modified: