Capital cost allowance (CCA)


You cannot deduct the cost of a property, such as a vehicle or musical instrument that you use to earn your income. However, you can deduct a percentage of the property's cost. The part of the cost you can deduct or claim is called depreciation or, for income tax purposes, capital cost allowance (CCA).


You may need to know the meaning of certain terms before you can determine your claim for CCA.

Capital cost is the amount on which you first claim CCA. Generally, the capital cost of the property is what you pay for it. Capital cost also includes items such as delivery charges, the GST and provincial sales tax (PST), or the HST.

Depreciable property is any property on which you can claim CCA. Depreciable properties are usually grouped into classes. Your CCA claim is based on the class of your property.

Fair market value is usually the highest dollar value you can get for your property in an open and unrestricted market, between a willing buyer and a willing seller who are acting independently of each other.

Proceeds of disposition is usually the amount you received or will receive for your property. In most cases, it refers to the sale price of the property. When you trade in a property to buy a new one, your proceeds of disposition is the amount you receive for the trade-in.

Undepreciated capital cost (UCC) is the balance of the capital cost left for further depreciation at any given time. The amount of CCA you claim each year will lower the UCC of the property.

To determine if you are eligible to claim CCA, see Can you claim CCA.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: