Salary expenses – Salaried employee expenses

You can deduct the salary you paid (or that was paid for you and included in your income) to your substitute or assistant (extra help) if you meet all of the following conditions:

You may have to withhold income tax, Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) contributions, employment insurance (EI), and provincial parental insurance plan (PPIP) premiums from the salary you paid. Report on a T4 slip, the salary and amounts you withheld. For more information, see RC4120, Employers' Guide - Filing the T4 slip and Summary.

As the employer, you can also deduct as an expense your share of the CPP or QPP contributions and the EI and PPIP premiums.

Completing your tax return

Include these expenses on the Other expenses line (9270) of Form T777, Statement of Employment Expenses, and attach it to your tax return.

Enter on line 22900, the allowable amount of your employment expenses from the total expenses line of Form T777.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: