Line 48500 - Balance owing
Note: Line 48500 was line 485 before tax year 2019.
If your total payable (line 43500 of your return) is more than your total credits (line 48200 of your return), enter the difference on line 48500. This amount is your balance owing. Generally, if the difference is $2 or less for 2019, you do not have to make a payment.
Your balance owing is due no later than September 1, 2020. Do not mail cash or include cash with your return. The CRA will charge daily compound interest on any outstanding balance starting September 2, 2020, until you pay your balance in full.
You can pay your balance owing using one of the following methods:
- pay online by using your financial institution’s services
- pay online by using the CRA’s My Payment service at My payment
- pay by setting up a pre-authorized debit agreement using My Account
- credit card, e-transfer or PayPal through a third-party service provider
- pay in person, with cash or by debit, at any Canada Post outlet across Canada for a fee. To do so you will need a remittance voucher with a QR code or a self generated QR code. For more information, go to My payment
- pay in person at your financial institution in Canada. To do so, you have to use a remittance voucher, which you can ask for in My Account or by contacting the CRA
If you can’t pay your taxes by September 1, 2020, go to If you cannot pay in full now to learn more about managing your tax debt, or see Information Circular IC98-1R7, Tax Collections Policies.
For more information, go to My payment.
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: