Line 48500 - Balance owing
COVID-19: Tax filing and payment deadlines for 2019
The deadline for individuals to file is extended to June 1, 2020 and the deadline to pay amounts owed is extended to September 1, 2020.
Note: some taxpayers may have received a 2019 Notice of Assessment that says the deadline for payment is April 30, 2020, which is incorrect.
Note: Line 48500 was line 485 before tax year 2019.
If your total payable (line 43500 of your return) is more than your total credits (line 48200 of your return), enter the difference on line 48500. This amount is your balance owing. Generally, if the difference is $2 or less for 2019, you do not have to make a payment.
Your balance owing is due no later than August 31, 2020. Do not mail cash or include cash with your return. The CRA will charge daily compound interest on any outstanding balance starting September 1, 2020, until you pay your balance in full.
You can pay your balance owing using one of the following methods:
- pay online by using your financial institution’s services
- pay online by using the CRA’s My Payment service at My payment
- pay by setting up a pre-authorized debit agreement using My Account
- credit card, e-transfer or PayPal through a third-party service provider
- pay in person, with cash or by debit, at any Canada Post outlet across Canada for a fee. To do so you will need a remittance voucher with a QR code or a self generated QR code. For more information, go to My payment
- pay in person at your financial institution in Canada. To do so, you have to use a remittance voucher, which you can ask for in My Account or by contacting the CRA
For more information, go to My payment.
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: