Line 48500 – Balance owing
Note: Line 48500 was line 485 before tax year 2019.
If your total payable from line 43500 of your return is more than your total credits from line 48200 of your return, enter the difference on line 48500 of your return. This amount is your balance owing.
Generally, if the difference is $2 or less, you do not have to make a payment.
Your balance owing is due April 30, 2023. You should pay any amounts you owe on or before this date to avoid interest and late-filing penalties.
The CRA will charge daily compound interest on any outstanding balance starting May 1, 2023, until your balance is paid in full.
Do not mail cash or include cash with your paper return.
For more information, see Due dates and payment dates.
Make your payment using:
- your Canadian financial institution’s services online or telephone banking services, or in person with a remittance voucher (from My Account or by contacting the CRA)
- the CRA’s My Payment service at My payment
- your credit card, Interac e-transfer, or PayPal through one of the CRA's third-party service providers
- pre-authorized debit (PAD) at My Account
- cash or debit at any Canada Post outlet across Canada for a fee if you have a remittance voucher with a QR code or a self-generated QR code
If you can’t pay your balance owing by April 30, 2023, see Personal income tax debt collection to learn more about managing your tax debt, or see Information Circular IC98-1R7, Tax Collections Policies.
For more information, go to Payments to the CRA.
Forms and publications
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: