Line 115 - Other pensions and superannuation
Most pensions and superannuation are part of your total income and must be reported.
Payments from a pension or superannuation plan are usually shown on these slips:
- T4A, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
- T3, Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations
You may receive other pensions such as:
Specified Pension Plan (SPP)
Report on line 115 SPP payments shown in box 016 of your T4A slip.
SPP payments are eligible for the pension income amount. See line 314.
Currently, the Saskatchewan Pension Plan is the only arrangement prescribed to be a specified pension plan.
You may be able to claim the pension income amount depending on the type of pension, annuity, PRPP, and RRIF payments you received. See line 314.
You may also be able to make a joint election with your spouse or common-law partner to split your pension, annuity, PRPP, RRIF (including life income fund) and SPP payments you reported on line 115 if both of the following apply:
- you were both residents of Canada on December 31, 2016 (or were residents of Canada on the date of death); and
- you and your spouse or common-law partner were not, because of a breakdown in your marriage or common-law relationship, living separate and apart from each other at the end of the year and for a period of 90 days beginning in the year.
To make this election, you and your spouse or common law partner must complete Form T1032, Joint Election to Split Pension Income.
If you elected to split your pension, superannuation, annuity, PRPP, RRIF (including life income fund) payments, and SPP payments with your spouse or common-law partner, you (the transferring spouse or common-law partner) must still report the full amount on line 115, but you can claim a deduction for the elected split-pension amount. See line 210.
If you receive a lump-sum payment, see line 130.
Completing your tax return
Enter on line 115 the amount shown in box 016 of your T4A slips and box 31 of your T3 slips.
You may have to report on this line other amounts you received. See other pensions above.
Forms and publications
- General income tax and benefit package - Guide, return and schedules
- Form T1032, Joint Election to Split Pension Income
- Interpretation Bulletin IT-397, Amounts Excluded from Income - Statutory Exemptions and Certain Service or RCMP Pensions, Allowances and Compensation
- Interpretation Bulletin IT-499, Superannuation or Pension Benefits
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: