Changing all your principal residence to a rental or business property

When you change your principal residence to an income producing property, such as a rental or business property, you can make an election not to be considered as having started to use your principal residence as a rental or business property. This means you do not have to report any capital gain when you change its use. If you make this election, you cannot claim capital cost allowance (CCA) on the property. Any income in respect of a property, net of applicable expenses, must be reported for tax purposes.

While your election is in effect, you can designate the property as your principal residence for up to four years, even if you do not use your property as your principal residence. However, during those years, you have to meet all of the following conditions:

You can extend the four-year limit indefinitely if all of the following conditions are met in addition to the above listed conditions:

If you make this election, there is no immediate effect on your income tax situation when you move back into your residence. However, if you change the use of the property again and do not make this election again, any gain you have from selling the property may be subject to tax.

To make this election, attach a letter signed by you to your income tax and benefit return of the year in which the change of use occurs. Describe the property and state that you want subsection 45(2) of the Income Tax Act to apply.

If you started to use your principal residence as a rental or business property in the year, you may want information on how you should report your business or property income. If so, see the following guides:

Forms and publications

Page details

Date modified: