How to claim your RRSP, PRPP or SPP contributions on your tax return

Specified pension plan (SPP) or pooled registered pension plan (PRPP) administrators or RRSP issuers will give you a receipt for the amounts you contributed. If you contributed to your spouse's or common-law partner's RRSP or SPP, the receipt should show your name as the contributor and your spouse's name or common-law partner's name as the annuitant.

Attach the receipt(s) to your tax return.

If you are using EFILE, show your receipt(s) to your tax preparer. Otherwise, keep them in case the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asks to see them.

If you are using NETFILE, keep your receipt(s) in case the CRA asks to see them.

If you do not get your receipt(s) before the filing deadline, see "What if you are missing information?" in the Income Tax and Benefit Guide.

If you made contributions from January 1, 1991, to March 1, 1995, that you did not deduct, and you did not show it on Schedule 7 for tax year 1994, contact the CRA.

Where do you deduct your contributions

Deduct your contributions on line 20800 – RRSP and PRPP deduction of your tax return.

For information on deducting your contributions to your pooled registered pension plan (PRPP), go to contributions to a PRPP.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: