Questions and answers about Form T1141

What revisions are being made to Form T1141?

I previously filed a Form T1141 using the prior version of the form. Do I have to re-file my previously filed form using this revised form?

Can I amend my previously filed return using the most current version of the form?

Are there penalties for failure to file Form T1141 or for omitting any information on the form?

There are not enough rows/tables on the form to report information. Can I file the information requested on Form T1141 on schedules attached to the form?

What revisions are being made to Form T1141?

Form T1141 has been revised and must be used for the 2007 and later tax years. The revised form incorporates the legislative amendments to section 94 that were enacted on June 26, 2013.

The revised form is now in a summary/supplement format. A summary sheet is required for each reporting person that has made a contribution to a non-resident trust, arrangement or entity in the year. A separate supplement must be completed for each non-resident trust, arrangement or entity.

I previously filed a Form T1141 using the prior version of the form. Do I have to re-file my previously filed form using this revised form?

No. Reporting persons that have already filed (for tax years ending after 2007) using the previous versions of the form will not be required to re‑file using the new version.

Can I amend my previously filed return using the most current version of the form?

Yes. The CRA encourages taxpayers to use the most current version of the form for the tax years that begin after 2007; however, the CRA will accept amended forms filed on the same version of the form as originally filed.

Are there penalties for failure to file Form T1141 or for omitting any information on the form?

Certain penalties apply for failing to file Form T1141 by the reporting deadline and for making a false statement or omission about the required information. For more information, go to Table of penalties.

There are not enough rows/tables on the form to report information. Can I file the information requested on Form T1141 on schedules attached to the form?

Form T1141 is available on the Canada.ca website in a basic PDF version and in a fillable/savable PDF version. The fillable/saveable PDF version of Form T1141 contains several features and verification checks that ensure data integrity. The fillable/savable version of Form T1141 consists of one Summary sheet and up to 20 supplements. This version also allows the user to add additional rows/tables to many sections of the form. The CRA encourages users to complete the form online.

If the reporting person is using the basic PDF version and is required to file more than one row/table, attach a schedule to the form. The schedule must be in identical format as the tables on Form T1141. The CRA will not accept other methods of providing the required T1141 information.

Forms and publications

Page details

Date modified: