Repay a student loan - Make additional payments
Any payments made while in school or during your 6-month non-repayment period are applied to the principal of your loan.
When in repayment, payments made are applied to any outstanding interest first, then to the principal of your loan.
- Extra payments can be made at any time to pay off or reduce your balance.
- You still need to make your regular monthly payments.
How to make additional payments
You can make payments through the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) website.
Log in to your NSLSC secure account to:
- add or update your banking information, and
- make a payment using your banking information
- Add the National Student Loans Service Centre as a payee through your online banking site
- Use your loan number as your 7-digit account number
Online payments with HigherEdPoints.com
If you have an account with HigherEdPoints.com, you can use it to make additional payments.
Note: This link is to a web site not under the control of Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). ESDC is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or the reliability of the content. ESDC does not endorse the site or its content. You should be aware that information offered by this site is not subject to the Official Languages Act. Use of HigherEdPoints.com is at your own risk.
- Date modified: