Repay a student loan – Can't repay

Please read our latest notices

Having trouble making a payment

If you are having trouble paying back your loan, you have options:

Missing payments will affect your credit. To learn more, visit the following page on credit report and score basics.

You have options

Whether you have missed a loan payment or not, you can:

Getting your loan out of collection

When you miss 9 months of payments, the federal part of your loan is sent to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for collection. Once in collection, you are no longer able to get student aid. To be able to get student aid again, you must bring your loan up to date.

Contact the CRA to make a payment arrangement and bring your loan up to date.

For the provincial or territorial part of your student loan, you need to contact your province or territory. For borrowers from Manitoba and Saskatchewan you may contact the CRA for both federal and provincial parts of your student loan.

Bring your Canada Student Loan back into good standing

If your loan is in collection, Contact the CRA to:

  • see if you qualify to have your federal student loan brought back into good standing
  • make payments equal to 2 regular monthly payments and choose one of the following options, if applicable:
    1. pay off any outstanding interest on your loan, or
    2. add any unpaid interest to the balance of your loan (this option can only be used once)

Once you make your payments, contact the NSLSC. You should receive a new repayment schedule within 1 month.


If you file for bankruptcy within 7 years of finishing your studies, your Canada Student Loan won't be cancelled. You will have to continue paying it back.

Page details

Date modified: