Financial assistance for protected persons

A person who has reason to fear persecution in his or her country of origin due to race, religion, nationality, membership in a social group, or political opinion can be designated as a protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board and Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Protected persons can get the same loans and grants as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to attend a designated educational institution in Canada. To learn more about financial assistance visit the Canada Student Grants and Loans.


To be eligible, a protected person must:

Contact the student financial assistance office of your province or territory of permanent residence for more information.

What you need before you start

You must provide current copies of your:

Note: Make sure all your required documents are up-to-date. They also have to be valid for your entire period of study. Applications without the proper documents cannot be processed.


Note: When you apply and qualify for a Canada Student Loan, your eligibility for Canada Student Grants is also automatically assessed. A separate application is needed only for the Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities.

Send copies of your required paper documents as outlined under eligibility with a copy of your student loan application to your provincial or territorial student financial assistance office as soon as possible.

Check for the application deadline in your area. Your province or territory of permanent residence will determine if you are eligible for financial assistance and how much money you will receive.

Other financial assistance programs

Government student loans and grants are just one option to consider when you are looking to get a university, college or trade school, or other post-secondary education. Explore other options, including applying for scholarships and saving more money while you are working, so that you borrow only what you need.

Your province or territory of permanent residence also offers financial assistance programs. For information about these loans and grants, visit the student financial assistance Web site of your province or territory of permanent residence.

Page details

Date modified: