Canada Student Grants and Loans – What student grants and loans offer

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

The Canada Student Financial Assistance Program offers grants and loans to full-time and part-time students to help pay for their post-secondary education.

How the funding works

The Government of Canada works with most provincial or territorial governments to offer student grants and loans. In all situations, you apply with your province or territory of residence. The amount you can receive is calculated when you apply.

More detail on how the funding works

British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario, and Saskatchewan

The Government of Canada and the provincial governments work together to provide integrated student grants and loans.

Alberta, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island

Canada Student Grants and Loans are available alongside provincial or territorial student aid.


Only Canada Student Grants and Loans and territorial grants are available.

Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and Quebec

Canada Student Grants and Loans are not available. These jurisdictions operate their own student aid programs.”

How much you can get

The amount you can receive depends on many factors, including:

  • your province or territory of residence
  • your family income
  • if you have dependents
  • your tuition fees and living expenses
  • if you have a disability

To find out how much you might get in Canada Student Grants or Loans, use the federal student aid estimator.

Note: The estimator does not take into account the provincial and territorial student grants and loans.

Federal student aid estimator

List of federal student grants

Your eligibility for Canada Student Grants is calculated when you apply with your province or territory.

Maximum lifetime limit for student aid

There are lifetime limits on the number of weeks you can receive student aid. This includes any payment-free or interest-free periods while you are in school. You also have to start paying back your loan 6 months after you graduate or finish your studies.

Full-time students can receive student aid for a maximum of 340 weeks, except:

  • students enrolled in doctoral studies can receive student aid for up to 400 weeks
  • students with a disability may receive up to 520 weeks of educational assistance

Registered Education Savings Plan

In addition to grants and loans you can use funds from your Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) to help pay for your studies.

Page details

Date modified: