EI Maternity and Parental Benefits - What you need before you start
4. What you need before you start
To complete the online Employment Insurance (EI) application for maternity or parental benefits, you will need the following personal information:
- your Social Insurance Number (SIN)—if your SIN begins with a 9, you will need to provide proof of your immigration status and work permit;
- your mother's maiden name;
- your mailing and residential addresses, including the postal codes—if you do not have a usual place of residence, you must apply in person at your local Service Canada Centre; and
- your complete banking information, including the financial institution name and number, the branch number, and your account number, if you want to sign up for direct deposit.
When you apply for EI maternity benefits, you must also provide the expected or actual date of birth.
When you apply for EI parental benefits, you must provide:
- the date of birth of your newborn or, in the case of an adoption, the date on which your child was placed with you (you must also provide the full name and address of the agency handling the adoption); and
- the SIN of the other parent, if you plan to share the benefits.
You will also need the following employment information if you are or were an employee:
- the name and address of all employers you worked for in the last 52 weeks, as well as the dates of employment and the reasons for separation from these employers;
- your detailed version of the facts, if you quit or were dismissed from any job in the last 52 weeks; and
- the dates (Sunday to Saturday) and earnings for each of your highest paid weeks of insurable earnings in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is the shorter period. This information will be used, along with your Record(s) of Employment, to calculate your weekly EI benefit rate.
For more information, see the publication called How to Apply for Employment Insurance Benefits.
Guides and help
Related services and info
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: