Documents you need

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

Gather the documents and information you need before contacting us.

Proof of death

You can use a statement of death or a death certificate as proof of death.

The statement of death is sufficient in most situations to notify the federal government of a death.

Statement of death

A statement of death is issued by the funeral home.

Death certificate

A death certificate is issued by the province or territory where the death occurred.

Contact your province to obtain a death certificate

If the person died outside of Canada

If the person died outside of Canada, follow the instructions to report a death abroad.

More information: Death abroad

Social Insurance Number

You may need the Social Insurance Number (SIN) of the deceased person to report the death to the federal government.

More information: Social Insurance Number (SIN) – Following a death

Page details

Date modified: