Guaranteed Income Supplement – After you’ve applied
6. After you’ve applied
Service Canada will inform you in writing whether your application was approved or not, or whether additional information or documentation is required to make a decision on your application.
When will my Guaranteed Income Supplement payment begin?
Once we approve your application for the GIS, you will receive a letter with details about your monthly amount, the date you will receive your first payment, and any retroactive amounts to which you might be entitled. The GIS payments will be added to your OAS pension payment each month and will start the latest of:
- the same month as your OAS pension;
- the month after you meet the eligibility requirements;
- the month after your 65th birthday; or
- up to 11 months prior to the date we received your application (if you applied after your 65th birthday).
Can my Guaranteed Income Supplement payment ever stop?
Yes, your GIS payment will stop if:
- you have not filed an individual Income Tax and Benefit Return with the Canada Revenue Agency by April 30, or if, by the end of June each year we have not received the information about your net income (or in the case of a couple, your combined net income) for the previous year;
- you leave Canada for more than six consecutive months;
- your net income (or in the case of a couple, your combined net income) is above the maximum annual income;
- you are incarcerated in a federal penitentiary for a sentence of two years or longer; or
- you die (it is important that someone notify us about your death to avoid overpayment).
Find other benefits
There may be more for you than the Guaranteed Income Supplement. Use the Benefits Finder to find other Government of Canada, provincial, or territorial benefits.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: