Statement of Contributions to the Canada Pension Plan


If you were unable to apply online for your Canada Pension Plan retirement pension, please revisit the Canada Pension Plan Retirement Pension webpage for a list of possible reasons and other ways to apply.


The Canada Pension Plan (CPP) uses a Statement of Contributions to keep a record of your pensionable earnings and your contributions to the Plan. Your statement shows your total CPP contributions for each year and the earnings on which your contributions are based. It also provides an estimate of what your pension or benefit would be if you and/or your family were eligible to receive it now.

The Statement of Contributions can assist you in your retirement planning. The online printed version of your CPP Statement of Contributions is considered a legal document unless contested in court. If it is being contested, you will need an official paper version. Use My Service Canada Account or contact Canada Pension Plan directly to ask us to send you an official paper copy of your Statement of Contributions.

Check the accuracy of your statement, particularly your name, address, date of birth and pensionable earnings and contributions. You should compare these amounts to any previous T4 tax information slips. If you disagree with any of the figures, contact Canada Pension Plan immediately. A discrepancy could affect the amount of your future CPP benefits, including the post-retirement benefit.

How do I get a copy?

Via My Service Canada Account

You can visit My Service Canada Account to view or print a copy of your Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Statement of Contributions, at your convenience.


You will not be able to view your CPP Statement of Contributions using My Service Canada Account if:

  • you have only worked in Quebec;
  • you worked in Quebec and at least one other province and currently reside in Quebec; or
  • you worked in Quebec and at least one other province, you currently reside outside of Canada and your last province of residence in Canada was Quebec.

Contact Retraite Québec for more information.

By mail

You can also request a copy of your statement by mail at:

Contributor Client Services
Canada Pension Plan
Service Canada
PO Box 818 Station Main
Winnipeg MB R3C 2N4

How do I correct information?

Let us know immediately if any of your information is incorrect or missing. Any Canada Pension Plan (CPP) benefits you receive will be based on the contributions and earnings data on your statement, so please check your information carefully.

Employed individuals: Send us a copy of the earnings and contributions information on your T4 slip(s), or a signed letter on company letterhead from each of your employers confirming all your earnings and contributions to the Canada Pension Plan for the year(s) in question.

Self-employed individuals: Send us a copy of your T1 annual income tax return with your earnings and contributions information and your Notice of Assessment for the year(s) in question.

Note: Current tax year

For the current tax year, the statement "not yet available" appears if the CPP has not yet received the contribution information from the Canada Revenue Agency or the Quebec Pension Plan. Next year's statement will have your contributions, if you file your income tax return.

Helpful definitions

Here are some common terms that are used on your Statement of Contribution and a brief description to help you understand how they are being used.

Date of Statement
The date of statement refers only to the date that the Statement of Contributions was produced. The statement is generally mailed to you the same month that it was printed.

The "Year" column on your Statement of Contributions starts with the year you turned 18 or January 1966, whichever is later. This column will end with:

  • the year in which you begin to receive a CPP retirement pension; or
  • the year in which you begin to receive a CPP disability benefit; or
  • the year you turn 70 years of age.

If you are not receiving a CPP retirement pension or disability benefit, or are under 70 years of age, the last year on the statement is the last full calendar year.

Your Contributions
The amounts in this column are the contributions you have made to the CPP and the Quebec Pension Plan, if applicable. Contributions are made by employers, employees and self-employed people. Contributions are based on your annual earnings between a minimum amount called the Year's Basic Exemption (YBE) and a maximum amount known as the Year's Maximum Pensionable Earnings (YMPE). The YMPE is approximately the average Canadian wage. The YBE is $3,500 and for 2016 the YMPE is $54,900.

Your Pensionable Earnings
This column shows your earnings through employment and/or self-employment each year, up to a maximum. These are your "pensionable" earnings. The maximum amount is adjusted every year. For 2016, it is $54,900. This figure is based on the average Canadian wage as measured by Statistics Canada.

"B" – Below basic exemption
A letter "B" will appear in the "Pensionable Earnings" column which indicates earnings below the basic exemption dollar value required to have a valid contribution for that year.

The letters "CQ" will appear in "Your Contributions" column if you contributed to both the Canada Pension Plan and Quebec Pension Plan in the same calendar year.

"CS" – Credit split
The letters "CS" will appear in the column "Your Pensionable Earnings" to show that there was a credit split for that year.

"M" – Maximum
A letter "M" will appear in "Your Pensionable Earnings" column to show that you have maximum earnings and have made a maximum contribution for that year.
For example: In 2016, if you earned more than $54,900 and have made the maximum employee contribution of $2,544.30, a letter "M" will appear to the right of the pensionable earnings.

"P" – Post-retirement benefit
The letter "P" will appear in "Your Pensionable Earnings" column to indicate contributions to a post-retirement benefit.

"Q" – Quebec Pension Plan
The letter "Q" will appear in "Your Contributions" column, to indicate contributions to the Quebec Pension Plan in that calendar year for that year.

"S" – Self-employed
The letter "S" will appear in the "Your contributions" column to show that all or part of the contributions are based on self-employed earnings for that year.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: