Disability Insurance Plan summary

Long-term disability insurance benefits under the Disability Insurance (DI) Plan are provided to eligible employees of the public service, including eligible members of certain designated groups, who become totally disabled and are unable to work. The DI Plan covers employees included in collective bargaining who are employed by the Treasury Board or a designated agency or corporation.

For information on other insurance benefits and/or compensation programs which may be available to you when you are absent from work for health reasons, refer to Workplace Health and Disability.

Disability Insurance Plan

This summary does not contain all details nor describe all limits, restrictions or exclusions. Refer to your Disability Insurance (DI) Plan Document and DI Plan Member Booklet for additional details.


  • Mandatory coverage for full-time and part-time employees who are appointed for more than 6 months (part-time employees must work more than 1/3 of the normal work week) or who have completed 6 months of continuous employment

Enrolment and Effective Date

  • No application required
  • Coverage effective on the date you become eligible


  • Monthly taxable benefit equal to 70% of your monthly salary
  • Payable after 13 continuous weeks of total disability, or when your paid sick leave is exhausted, whichever is later
  • Benefits reduced by your other sources of income
  • Indexation up to a maximum of 3% annually to reflect cost of living
  • Rehabilitation provisions
  • Pre-existing conditions exclusion may apply if disability commences within the first 12 months after you become eligible for coverage
  • No benefits payable beyond age 65

Cost Sharing / Premiums

  • The Government of Canada pays 85% of the premium and you pay the remaining 15%
  • For the current premium rate per $1,000 of insured salary, refer to Disability Insurance (DI) Premium Rates
  • Provisions when receiving disability benefits
  • Provisions when on leave without pay

Coverage ends automatically

  • When your employment terminates
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: