Employment Equity Act Review Consultation
Current status: Closed
Opened on February 28, 2022 and closed to new input on April 28, 2022.
We knew that more work was needed to enhance employment equity, to make workplaces barrier-free where everyone has equal opportunities to grow and to thrive. In support of this commitment, we established a Task Force to conduct a review of the federal Employment Equity Act (EEA).
For more information about the Task Force and the review, please consult the Task Force's webpage.
Who was the focus of this consultation
The Employment Equity Act applies to the federal jurisdiction, including the federally regulated private sector, the public service and Crown Corporations.
All Canadians were welcome to take part in the consultation.
Key areas of discussion
The Task Force has studied and engaged on 4 key areas, as outlined in the Terms of Reference:
- Defining equity groups – How to modernize and define EEA designated groups
- Better supporting equity groups – How to better support equity groups protected under the EEA
- Improving accountability, compliance and enforcement – How to improve accountability, compliance, enforcement for employment equity; and
- Improving public reporting – How to improve public reporting for employment equity
The Task Force considered your input as they developed their recommendations during their review of the EEA.
What we heard
The Employment Equity Act Review Task Force will provide concrete, independent and evidence-based recommendations to the Minister of Labour through a report in the spring of 2023.
- Overview of policy issues and background – Employment Equity Act review
- Policy brief 1: Defining and expanding equity groups
- Policy brief 2: Better supporting equity groups
- Policy brief 3: Accountability, compliance, enforcement and public reporting of employment equity
- Annex 1: Federal Anti-Racism Secretariat demographic list
- Annex 2: Barriers to employment equity for equity groups
Employment Equity Act Review Task Force
C/O Employment Equity Act Review Secretariat
(mailstop # 911)
ESDC, 140 Promenade du Portage, Phase IV
Gatineau, QC, K1A 0J9
- Date modified: