RDSP, grant and bond issuers
Disclaimer: RDSP issuers
The information contained on this page is technical in nature. The target audience are issuers of:
- Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)
- Canada Disability Savings Grant (CDSG)
- Canada Disability Savings Bond (CDSB)
For general information, visit the RDSP section.
Consult this page frequently for newer versions. The following laws and regulations take precedence over information contained in InfoCapsules in the event of discrepancies:
- Income Tax Act
- Canada Disability Savings Act
- Canada Disability Savings Regulations
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) is responsible for the administration and delivery of the CDSG and the CDSB into RDSPs. This site provides RDSP providers with information to administer the grant and bond. Please contact us, if you have any questions about this content.
Please visit our information bulletins section to find important information about RDSPs changes.
- Assistance Holdback Amount (AHA) and Repayment Obligation: This document is intended to guide Financial Institutions in the calculation of repayment obligations and the submission of system transactions
- Data Operations and Connectivity Guide: Provides detailed information about setting up secure encrypted bi-directional telecommunications operations between financial institutions and Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
- Industry Testing Guide: Outlines the guidelines and processes for Industry Testing of the CDSP system.
- Interface Transaction Standards: Contains detailed data formats for the electronically exchanging financial and contract transactions between financial institutions and ESDC.
- Production Cut-off Dates: Provides the production cut-off dates for monthly production runs.
User Guides and Publications
User Guides and Publications
- InfoBulletins: Provides information about updates and changes to Registered Disability Savings Plan.
- InfoCapsules: One-page quick-reference documents that explain the Registered Disability Savings Plan, the Canada Disability Savings Grant and the Canada Disability Savings Bond.
- RDSP - Userguide: RDSP Provider User Guide provides information about RDSPs and the disability savings incentives administered by ESDC. It also assists the financial industry to successfully complete and submit RDSP transactions.
- Application for Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond (EMP5608E): This form is used to apply for and administer the Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond. The Application must be submitted by the financial institution to ESDC without delay upon receipt from the holder of the Registered Disability Savings Plan.
- Annex A - Joint Holder to the Application for Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond (EMP 5609E): This form is used to provide additional information to apply for and administer the Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond. Annex A must be submitted by the financial institution to ESDC with the Application for Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond.
- Annex B - Primary Caregiver to the Application for Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond (EMP 5610E): This form is used to provide additional information to apply for and administer the Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond. Annex B must be submitted by the financial institution to ESDC with the Application for Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond.
- Revocation of Request for Canada Disability Savings Grants and/or Canada Disability Savings Bonds: This form will be used by RDSP Holders to revoke a request for payments of the Canada Disability Savings Grant and/or Canada Disability Savings Bond to the Issuer in respect of the beneficiary's RDSP.
Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) Transfer
- Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) Transfer (EMP5611E): This form allows the receiving Issuer to correctly submit the required transfer information on the new contract registration transaction, and to administer the RDSP on an ongoing basis.
- Holder Consent to a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) Transfer (EMP5612E): This form is used when one or more holders of the existing plan will not be named a holder of the new RDSP. Under these circumstances, the relinquishing Issuer will collect consent from all holders on the existing plan.
Issuer Enrolment Process
Issuer Enrolment Process
In order to become an Issuer of Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP), Canada Disability Savings Grant (CDSG) and Canada Disability Savings Bond (CDSB), there are a number of steps to follow.
Please note these steps are not necessarily in sequential order and some may be completed simultaneously:
- The Issuer submits their Specimen Plan(s) to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for approval and advises the Canada Education Savings Program (CESP) accordingly.
- The Issuer completes and/or submits the following documents to CDSP for the signing of the agreement including:
- RDSP Issuer Identification Form
- RDSP Agent Identification Form (if applicable)
- Proof of Signing Authority
- Extract of the Agency Agreement (if applicable)
- Notice of Delegation of Duties to an Agent (if applicable); and
- Direct Deposit Form
- The Issuer requests a Training Session from RDSP
- The Issuer completes Industry Testing of the CDSP system
- The Issuer signs an agreement for the purpose of the exchange of information and the payment of the Grant and the Bond with Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Individual issuer training
Did you know that ESDC provides onsite training to individual issuers? If your organization needs RDSP training at your place of business, please send us a request. Here are the course descriptions:
RDSP fundamental principles (duration: 7.5 hours)
This course informs about the rules and requirements of RDSPs, the CDSG and the CDSB. It also talks about the application process, carry-forward entitlements, repayments, transfers, rollovers and Specified Disability Savings Plans. This training is ideal for:
- Financial advisors
- Sales representatives
- Call-center agents
- Administrative staff or staff that needs to understand how RDSP work
Processing of RDSP transactions (duration: 7.5 hours)
(Prerequisite: RDSP fundamental principles)
This course focuses on transactional and system information throughout the production cycle. Participants will be able to apply trouble-shooting techniques and solve common processing problems. Participants for this course typically include:
- System analysts and developers
- Data integrity and compliance staff
- Administrative services staff who interpret error reports.
Note: For alternative arrangements, please inquire using the contact form.
Group issuer training
Register now! Upcoming training courses for all RDSP grant and bond issuers!
ESDC wishes to invite RDSP issuers to its facilitated group training in the following cities: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. The course descriptions are available in the individual issuer training section.
Participants can choose to attend only one day of training or both days.
Note: This training is only offered to representatives of financial institutions who administer the RDSPs, the CDSG and the CDSB. Candidates from the public are not accepted.
To register, please complete the contact form and indicate:
- the city
- the training dates
- which training session(s) you wish to register for
- the number of participants from your organization (up to 4 participants per issuer)
Note: If you are unable to attend any of the training, please advise us as soon as possible.
|City||Training site||Language||Training dates||Registration status|
|Toronto||Joseph Shepard Building
4900 Yonge Street
April 21, 2020
Processing of transactions:
April 22, 2020
|Montréal||Best Western Ville-Marie Montréal Hôtel & Suites
June 16, 2020
Processing of transactions:
June 17, 2020
Virtual classroom training
Did you know that ESDC also provides the same onsite training courses listed above to individual issuers? We use a distance learning internet-based platform (WebEx) or Polycom videoconference. If your organization requires RDSP training via distance learning, please send us a request using the contact form.
This self-paced online training is available to help RDSP issuers learn the basic concepts about the grant and the bond. It is also a helpful resource for employees that only require high-level.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: