Hire a foreign academic – Recruitment and advertisement

4. Recruitment and advertisement

Before a degree-granting educational institution can hire a foreign academic for a position in Canada, it must:

  • Advertise vacant positions in Canada
  • Make sure any vacant position advertised abroad is also advertised simultaneously in Canada
  • Advertise for a reasonable length of time (about a month) to allow broad exposure of the vacancy to Canadians and permanent residents
  • Demonstrate that the advertising medium used - web, print or electronic - is effective in attracting appropriate candidates for the position
  • Include in the advertisement this statement: "All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority;"
  • Meet all conditions of applicable collective agreements
  • Be prepared to fill a yearly summary report on recruitment practices for Canadian academics and results

Transition plans

Universities and colleges hiring professors in academic positions (NOC 4011) can complete a submission to Universities Canada that will be included in an annual report to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) on transition measures being taken for this occupation across Canada. Academic institutions should contact Universities Canada for more details. Alternatively, institutions can complete the section on Transition plans of their LMIA application form for high-wage positions.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: