Hire a foreign academic: Apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment
5. Apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment
Educational institutions hiring foreign academics for Canadian positions must complete, sign (where required) and submit the following information by mail or by fax:
- LMIA application form for high-wage positions (EMP5626)
- Proof of business legitimacy
- Proof of advertisement, applicable in most cases
A complete application means that employers have:
- used the latest version of the application form
- filled out all of the fields in all of the necessary forms
- included all of the required documentation
- signed the forms where required
- submitted the processing fee for each position requested
If an application is submitted and it is not complete, Service Canada staff will inform the employer that the application will not be processed. Incomplete applications and supporting documents submitted with the application will not be retained or returned to the employer. As a result, employers are advised to submit copies, not original documents.
Submit the application and required documentation by mail or fax.
LMIA applications for foreign academic positions (except for positions in Quebec) must be submitted to the Centre of Specialization responsible for processing these positions.
Positions in the province of Quebec
Mailing address and fax:
Temporary Foreign Worker Program
Service Canada LMIA Processing Centre
1001 de Maisonneuve Boulevard East 4th floor
Montréal, QC H2L 4P9
A Quebec acceptance certificate issued by the province is required for positions in Quebec.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: