Hire a foreign academic: Overview


Due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, there are changes to this program.

Please read our latest notices:

1. Overview

Employing foreign academics can help degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in Canada meet their staffing and teaching needs and attract new knowledge and expertise to Canadian campuses.

Special hiring criteria have been developed by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)/Service Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in cooperation with universities, degree-granting colleges, and unions representing Canadian academics. These criteria are designed to take into account the career development and employment of Canadian academics.

An academic is an individual with at least one postgraduate degree (following a Bachelor's degree) who earns the majority of their income from teaching or conducting research as employees at universities and university colleges in Canada. If your institution is interested in hiring a foreign worker for an occupation where the majority of the job duties are other than teaching or research (in other words management, financial or administrative, etc.) the regular ESDC process for hiring foreign workers applies.

Also, please note that the regular ESDC process for hiring foreign workers applies to community colleges unless they are affiliated with a university and their students can obtain degrees, and to the Collèges d'enseignement général et professionnel (Cégep) in Quebec.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: