Cannabis Demand and Supply – initial report
Bulletin - update
The Cannabis Act provides the Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction with the authority to track the high-level movement of cannabis across the country.
On October 17, 2018, the Government launched a national Cannabis Tracking System to prevent legal cannabis from being diverted to the illegal market and to keep illegal cannabis out of the legal market. Federal licence holders and provincial and territorial public bodies are required to report information to Health Canada on a monthly basis through a web-based application.
The deadline to submit monthly reports is the 15th of each month. Each report reflects sales of cannabis for medical and non-medical purposes during the previous month. These reports also reflect the inventory of cannabis held by federal licence holders and by provincially or territorially authorized distributors and retailers.
Given the significant public interest in understanding the demand and supply of cannabis since the coming into force of the Cannabis Act, Health Canada is making available a preliminary summary of information submitted to date. The summary table will be updated every two weeks, as reported information is verified and validated and as new data is submitted to the department.
In addition to providing this summary data, Health Canada intends to proactively publish a more detailed summary of data reported to the Cannabis Tracking System on a quarterly basis. This is consistent with the department’s practice prior to October 17, 2018, where market-related data reported under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations was published on Health Canada’s website every three months. Statistics Canada will also be publishing various cannabis statistics through its system of national economic accounts and via the Cannabis Stats Hub.
Highlights for the ending December 31, 2018
- Total sales of dried cannabis in December increased by 4% compared to November (from 6,963 kg to 7,252 kg).
- Total sales of cannabis oil increased by 2% (from 7,014 litres to 7,127 litres).
- Total inventory of dried cannabis (finished and unfinished) held by cultivators, processors, distributors and retailers stood at 128,321 kg at the end of December – 17.7 times total sales in the month. Cannabis oil inventories totalled 64,867 litres – over 9.1 times total sales.
- The total amount of finished dried cannabis products held in inventory at the end of December decreased by 4% compared to the end of November (from 19,935 kg to 19,085 kg). The total amount of finished cannabis oil products increased 14% (from 33,953 litres to 38,829 litres).
- Finished inventory held by provincial and territorial distributors and retailers increased 6% for dried cannabis. In aggregate, this inventory held by provinces and territories was the equivalent of nearly two months' supply of dried cannabis when compared against the volume of non-medical sales in December.
- Finished inventory held by provincial and territorial distributors and retailers increased by 49% for cannabis oil. In aggregate, this inventory held by provinces and territories was the equivalent of five months' supply of cannabis oil when compared against the volume of non-medical sales in December.
- Finished inventory held by federal licence holders decreased 14% for dried cannabis and increased 4% for cannabis oil.
- Unfinished inventory held by federal licence holders increased 12% for dried cannabis and increased 13% for cannabis oil.
|October 2018||November 2018||December 2018|
|Dried (kg)||Oil (litres)||Dried (kg)||Oil (litres)||Dried (kg)||Oil (litres)|
|Sales - medical||1,964Footnote *||4,579Footnote *||1,804Footnote *||5,128Footnote *||1,821||4,979|
|Sales - non-medical||4,471Footnote *||1,375||5,158Footnote *||1,885Footnote *||5,431||2,148|
|Sales||6,435Footnote *||5,955Footnote *||6,963Footnote *||7,014Footnote *||7,252||7,127|
|Federal licence holders||8,651Footnote *||26,533Footnote *||10,318Footnote *||26,324||8,873||27,478|
|Provincial distributors/retailer||6,485||2,451||9,616Footnote *||7,629||10,213||11,351|
|Finished inventory (end of month)||15,137Footnote *||28,984Footnote *||19,935Footnote *||33,953||19,085||38,829|
|Federal licence holders||93,638Footnote *||20,898Footnote *||97,724Footnote *||23,086||109,236||26,038|
|Unfinished inventory (end of month)||93,638Footnote *||20,898Footnote *||97,724Footnote *||23,086||109,236||26,038|
Note: Figures provided in this table reflect the data reported through the Cannabis Tracking System for the months of October, November, and December 2018. Verification and validation of this data is ongoing. As such, the data should not be considered as final. Non-medical sales of cannabis began on October 17, 2018.
Value has been updated from previous report based on corrected and/or new data.
- Sales – medical:
- Refers to CRA-stamped cannabis products sold directly to medical clients by holders of a federal licence for medical sales.
- Sales – non-medical:
- Refers to CRA-stamped cannabis products sold directly in the Canadian retail market (either online or in-person) for non-medical purposes.
- Finished inventory:
- Refers to any cannabis held in stock by a cultivator, processor, distributor, or retailer that is packaged, labelled, and ready for sale.
- Unfinished inventory:
- Refers to any cannabis held in stock by a cultivator or processor that is not packaged, labelled, and ready for sale.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: