Refugee sponsorship application: Joint assistance sponsorship (IMM 5493)

Table of Contents

This is not a legal document. The explanations and definitions are not legal definitions. In case of a discrepancy between the language in this document and the relevant legislation or regulations, the legal text in the legislation and regulations prevails.

For legal information, consult the following documents:


Application package

This application package has:

  • an instruction guide, and
  • the forms you need to fill out.

The instruction guide:

  • has information you must know before you submit your application, and
  • explains how to fill out the forms and gather your supporting documents.

Read the instruction guide completely and then fill out each of the applicable forms.

The forms are designed with questions that will help the processing of your application.

Symbols used in this guide

This guide uses these symbols to draw your attention to important information:

Required step
What you must do to have your application processed.
Important information

Important information that you need to know to avoid delays or other problems.

Get more information

Where to get more information.

Note: Tips that will help you with this application.

Before you apply

Who can use this application?

This application package contains the forms and information necessary for Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAH) and their Constituent Groups to sponsor a refugee(s) living outside Canada under the Joint Assistance Sponsorship (JAS) Program.

What is the Joint Assistance Sponsorship (JAS)?

JAS refers to a joint undertaking by the sponsoring group and IRCC to sponsor a refugee(s) requiring special assistance and whose admissibility depends upon the additional support of a sponsor.

In order to resettle successfully, these refugees may require more than a 12-month sponsorship. Consequently, a JAS is valid for up to 24 months. In exceptional cases, the visa office may request an extended sponsorship period of up to 36 months. In these cases, the sponsor must agree before the case is processed.

Note: It is the visa office that identifies which cases require a JAS. The sponsoring groups do not designate JAS cases.

What is a SAH?

A Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH) is an incorporated organization that has signed a sponsorship agreement with the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship. A SAH can authorize Constituent Groups to sponsor under its agreement and provide support to the refugee(s).

Each SAH sets its own criteria for recognizing Constituent Groups (who collectively will be referred to as the sponsoring group in the remainder of this application kit). The sponsoring group or its representatives must be located in the community where the refugees are destined.

Letter of approval

Before submitting a sponsorship undertaking, Constituent Groups must obtain a letter of approval from their SAH indicating that they have been given the authority to submit a sponsorship on behalf of the SAH and that their Settlement Plan has been reviewed and approved by the SAH.

Quebec residents

This application kit does not apply to the province of Quebec. Sponsors living in the province of Quebec must contact the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI).

Important information

Make sure to use the correct application

Before you start, ensure you are using the correct application kit. Separate application kits are available for:

  • Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAH) and their Constituent Groups (CG)
  • Groups of five individuals (G5s)
  • Community Sponsor (CS): Organizations which do not have a sponsorship agreement with IRCC and which are not partnered with a SAH or their CG

For more information. The other application kits may be obtained by visiting our website or by consulting the Help Centre. See “Need Help?” at the end of this guide.

Program description

Under the JAS Program, IRCC provides financial assistance to cover the cost of food, shelter, clothing and essential household goods and settlement support through funded community agencies.

The sponsor’s role is to provide orientation, significant settlement assistance and emotional support.

Refugees with special needs

Refugees sponsored under the JAS program are identified as having special needs that will likely result in a longer or more difficult period of integration.

These special needs include:

  • Emotional problems resulting from the refugee experience which could include incidents of trauma or torture;
  • physical or mental disability which could require treatment in Canada;
  • unusual family configuration such as elderly parents, single-parent families with several young children or families consisting only of siblings, one or more of whom has assumed parental responsibilities;
  • separated minors

How does it work?

JAS refugees will be matched to communities where their needs would best be met. Information considered before matching includes (but is not limited to):

  • specialized services available and/or special requirements of one or more family members
  • location of any family members in Canada
  • location of same or similar ethnic communities in Canada
  • size of family
  • employment
  • language skills

JAS refugees will not be matched to communities that cannot provide required settlement services (such as programs or services to address the needs of refugees who have medical disabilities etc.). There should be a Service Provider Organization (SPO) available in the community to provide financial and basic orientation.

Note: Under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms a refugee has the right to live and move anywhere in Canada. Sometimes the refugee(s) may choose to leave the community where the sponsor resides. In rare cases, the refugee(s) may not arrive in the community to which they were destined.

Role of the local IRCC centre

The local IRCC centre is responsible for deciding whether to approve the match of a sponsoring group with a special needs case. Thus it is the officer who decides whether a match is “successful” or not. Sponsoring groups are advised to demonstrate that they have sufficient experience to accommodate the refugee’s special needs and that their community offers settlement services that are well-suited to the particular needs of the refugee applicant.

Matching a Sponsoring Group with a Refugee(s)

The Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) assembles and co-ordinates an inventory of refugees who require a Joint Assistance Sponsorship. These refugees have already been interviewed by a visa officer and are determined to be eligible for resettlement in Canada.

ROC-O posts the refugee’(s) profiles on a secure Web site accessible only to Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAHs), the ROC-O and local IRCC centres in order to facilitate the matching process.

Using the secure Web site

  • SAHs may check the secure website for a suitable profile and may provide the downloaded profile(s) to their sponsoring groups for consideration (where applicable).
  • If after reviewing the profile the group is interested in sponsoring a particular case, the next step is for the sponsoring group to request a more detailed profile from the local IRCC centre.
  • The SAH may be instructed to contact the Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) for additional settlement information.
  • The sponsoring group will make its final decision based on a review of the detailed profile. They must inform their local IRCC centre as soon as possible whether they are committed to sponsoring the particular case.
  • The final step is to complete the JAS sponsorship undertaking (IMM 1324), attach the detailed refugee profile to the application and submit all necessary documents to the ROC-O.

The matching process at the Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa

If no suitable profile is found on the Web site or if a sponsoring group does not access the Web site, the completed Request for a Joint Assistance Refugee Profile (IMM 5504) should be submitted to the local IRCC who will forward the request to the Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) to keep in their inventory until a match can be made. The Request for a Joint Assistance Refugee Profile contains information on the sponsoring group’s community and on the type of refugee case the group wishes to sponsor.

  • The ROC-O assembles and co-ordinates an inventory of sponsoring groups requesting a refugee profile and attempts to match the sponsoring groups with a refugee(s).
  • When the ROC-O is able to make a potential match, they will refer the detailed profile to the local IRCC centre who will refer the profile to the SAH for discussion with the sponsoring group (where applicable).
  • The sponsoring group should review the detailed profile and notify their local IRCC centre as soon as possible whether they are committed to sponsoring the particular case. Prior to confirming their commitment, the sponsoring group must confirm with the local IRCC centre that the case is still available.
  • The final stage is for the sponsoring group to complete the JAS sponsorship undertaking (IMM 1324), attach the detailed refugee profile to the application and submit all necessary documents to the ROC-O.

Matching Process – General

Sponsoring groups are encouraged to arrive at a decision as soon as possible. More than one sponsoring group may review a particular detailed profile at a time. However, before confirming a commitment to accept the case, sponsoring groups must confirm with their local IRCC office that the case is still available.

  • Profiles must be matched with a sponsoring group within six months or they will be referred back to the visa office for referral to another country for resettlement.
  • Delays in obtaining medical or security results or difficulties making travel arrangements can delay the arrival of the refugee(s).
  • On average, refugee(s) under the JAS program will arrive in Canada within seventeen weeks from the date the sponsorship is approved by IRCC.

Step 1. Gather documents

What documents are required?

The section below outlines the documents that you need to include with your application. You may also use the Document Checklist (IMM 5495) which you can find in this package to assist you gathering the necessary documentation.

Note: If any of the required documents are missing, or photocopies are not clear, your application may be returned to you.

Note: Additional documents may be required during the processing of your application.

Document #1 - Letter(s) of approval from the Sponsorship Agreement Holder (if applicable)

Constituent Groups must obtain a letter of approval from their SAH indicating that they have been given the authority to submit a sponsorship on behalf of the SAH and that their Settlement Plan has been reviewed and approved by the SAH.

Format: Original

Translation of documents

You must include the following along with any document that is not in English or French:

Translations may be done by:

  • a person who is fluent in both languages (English or French, and the unofficial language); or
  • a Canadian certified translator (a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada).

If the translation isn’t done by a Canadian certified translator, the person who completed the translation must provide an affidavit swearing to their language proficiency and the accuracy of the translation.

The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of:

In Canada:

Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Consult your local provincial or territorial authorities.

Outside of Canada:

  • a notary public

Authority to administer oaths varies by country. Consult your local authorities.

small exclamation warning signImportant information: Translations must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by members of the applicant’s family. This includes a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew and first cousin.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit.

Step 2. Complete the application

Filling out the application

Follow the step-by-step instructions below to complete the application forms.

Note: It is a serious offence to give false or misleading information on these forms. The information you provide on your application may be subject to verification.

Important information

Be complete and accurate

Complete all sections. If any section is not applicable to you, write “N/A” (“Not applicable”). If your application is incomplete it may be returned to you and processing may be delayed.

Note: If you need more space for any section, use an extra sheet of paper and submit it along with your application. On the top of each additional sheet, write:

  • the name of your group,
  • the name of the principal refugee applicant,
  • the form number (e.g. IMM 1324), and
  • the number and/or letter of the section you are completing.

Undertaking/Application for a Joint Assistance Sponsorship (JAS) – Sponsorship Agreement Holder and Constituent Groups (IMM 1324)

Who must fill out this application form?

Complete this form after your group has received and reviewed the profile of a refugee(s) and is committed to sponsoring that refugee(s).

This form must be completed by the:

  • The Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH)
  • The Constituent Group (CG) (if applicable)

Section A – Sponsorship Agreement Holder

Write the name of the organization that has signed a Sponsorship Agreement with the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship including the:

  • SAH representative’s last name (surname/family name), given name
  • other name(s) used (including birth name, maiden, previous married name(s), aliases and nicknames)
  • date of birth
  • address of the SAH, complete with the postal code
  • contact details (telephone, fax and e-mail)

Section B – Constituent Group (if applicable)

Write the name of the Constituent Group and the name of the person authorized to sign the undertaking and represent the sponsoring group (if applicable), including the:

  • group representative’s last name (surname/family name), given name
  • other name(s) used (including birth name, maiden, previous married name(s), aliases and nicknames)
  • date of birth
  • address of the group representative, complete with the postal code
  • contact details (telephone, fax and e-mail)

Note: A Constituent Group must partner with a SAH as they can not act alone in a sponsorship undertaking.

Section C – Refugee(s) Being Sponsored

This information is supplied in the refugee profile. Attach the Refugee Profile that you received.

Sponsoring groups are required to commit to sponsor the principal refugee applicant along with all family members (defined below), both accompanying and non-accompanying, at the same time of submitting the original undertaking/application.

Principal refugee applicant:

Write the:

  • last name (surname/family name) – do not use initials
  • given name(s)
  • marital status
  • date of birth
  • sex
  • country of birth, including the name of the town or city
  • country of citizenship

Family members: spouse or common-law partner of the principal applicant, and/or any dependent children, and/or any dependent children of dependent children. See the definition of family members in the table below.

Write the:

  • last name (surname/family name) – do not use initials
  • given name(s)
  • relationship to the principal refugee applicant- (spouse, common-law partner, son or daughter, child of son or daughter)
  • marital status
  • date of birth
  • sex
  • country of citizenship
  • country of birth, including the name of the town or city

Note: The Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) may be able to provide you with a complete mailing address outside Canada and, if possible, a telephone number and e-mail address for the principal refugee applicant. This will allow your sponsoring group to become acquainted with the refugee(s) you are sponsoring before their arrival in Canada.

Family member definitions

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.


Refers to either of the two persons (any gender) in a marriage legally recognized in the country in which it took place, as well as in Canada.

Important information

Proxy, telephone, fax, internet and similar forms of marriage where one or both parties were not physically present are not considered as valid spousal relationships under the Regulations nor are polygamous marriages. For more information, consult our policy on the legality of a marriage.

Common-law partner

Refers to a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (any gender), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year. A conjugal relationship exists when there is a significant degree of commitment between two people.

This can be shown with evidence that the couple share the same home, support each other financially and emotionally, have children together, or present themselves in public as a couple.

Common-law partners who have been in a conjugal relationship for at least one year, but are unable to live together or appear in public together because of legal restrictions in their home country or who have been separated for reasons beyond their control (for example, civil war or armed conflict) may still qualify and should be included on the application.

Dependent children

We assess your child’s eligibility as a dependant based on how old they were at a specific point in time, called the "lock-in date". This is usually the date we received your application. To see if your child qualifies as a dependant, we consider the age of your child on the lock-in date, even though your child’s age may change during processing.

Your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner can be considered a dependent child if that child meets the requirements below on the lock-in date:

  • They’re under 22 years old, and
  • They don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

  • They have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • They are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition

With the exception of age, dependants must continue to meet these requirements until we finish processing your application.

Not sure if your child is a dependant? Check if your child qualifies by answering a few questions.

If your child’s age was locked in on or before October 23, 2017, a previous definition of dependent children may apply.

Dependent child of a dependent child

Refers to children of dependent children of the applicant and those of the spouse or common-law partner, if applicable.

Non-accompanying family members

Sponsoring groups may wish to confirm with their local IRCC centre whether the principal applicant listed any non-accompanying family members on their application for permanent residence (IMM 0008) since the sponsorship undertaking also extends to non-accompanying family members who are eligible under the terms of the “one-year window of opportunity”.

The one-year window (OYW) provision facilitates the reunification of non-accompanying family members with family who have been resettled in Canada. To be eligible, it is necessary that non-accompanying family members be included on the application for permanent residence (IMM 0008) and that they make an application for permanent residence at a visa office within one year of their family’s arrival in Canada. For more information on the “one-year window of opportunity”, consult the Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.

Section D – Identification of Special Needs

Based on the information and identification of any special needs provided in the refugee profile, indicate how your group and community can assist the refugee(s) with these particular needs.

Section E – Obligations

Read this section carefully as it outlines the obligation of the sponsor. All Joint Assistance Sponsorships are for a period up to 24 months. In exceptional cases, the visa office may request an extended sponsorship period of up to 36 months. In these cases, the sponsor must agree before the case is processed.

Section F – Declaration by the Sponsor

Each party to the sponsorship must sign and date the application. By signing, the sponsoring groups declare that they understand and commit to upholding the terms outlined on the undertaking.

Section G – Relatives of Refugee(s) Living in Canada (To be completed by IRCC)

The ROC-O should complete this section based on the information given in the refugee profile. An officer will ask the refugee(s) if they have any relatives or friends in Canada. A refugee(s) is encouraged to provide this information so that a sponsoring group can be located where the refugee(s)’ friends or relatives are located.

Section H – Special Needs (To be completed by IRCC)

The refugee profile will indicate which category of special needs the refugee(s) fall under. Using this information the Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) should check off the relevant category.

Settlement Plan– Joint Assistance Sponsorship Form (IMM 5494)

Who must fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by the:

  • Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH)
  • Constituent Group (if applicable)

What is it?

The Settlement Plan and Financial Assessment (PDF, 650.8KB) is a planning tool for sponsoring groups to formulate how they intend to deliver the various aspects of settlement assistance needed to help the refugee applicant(s) establish successfully in Canada. Where practicable, the planned arrangements should be in place before the refugee arrives.

In those instances where refugee applicants intend to live together in Canada as a family unit but are named on separate Undertakings only one Settlement Plan encompassing the entire household is required. It must, however, reflect the resettlement needs of each individual being sponsored.

Submission of Settlement Plan

Sponsorship Agreement Holders must complete a Settlement Plan for each JAS undertaking they sign but are not required to submit the form to the ROC-O (note exception below).

Constituent Groups must also complete a Settlement Plan for each JAS undertaking they sign and must submit it to their Sponsorship Agreement Holder. The SAH assesses the overall application and, when satisfied, issues a letter of approval authorizing the group to sponsor under their agreement. Both the SAH and the Constituent Group are required to retain a copy of the Settlement Plan in their files.

Note: Exception – Sponsorship Agreement Holders (and their respective Constituent Groups) that signed an agreement with the Minister less than two years ago are required to submit the Settlement Plan to the Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) as part of the sponsorship application.

Section A – General information

Write the complete name of the:

  • principal refugee applicant
  • Sponsorship Agreement Holder
  • Constituent Group (if applicable)
  • Contact person

Write the details of your contact person (complete address, telephone, fax and e-mail, mailing address complete with the postal code).

Section B – Settlement Needs – Checklist

Check the box to indicate that you acknowledge that your sponsoring group is aware of all refugees’ settlement needs and will be providing the necessary settlement assistance for them.

Identify who will be providing for the settlement needs of the refugee(s) by checking the relevant box.

Where more than one party is providing for a particular need, check all boxes that apply.

Section C – Settlement Needs – Details

Answer each question in a detailed yet concise manner.

Note: Joint Assistance Sponsorship cases will receive orientation and income support through the Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP).

This assistance will be provided by the service providers in partnership with sponsoring groups.

Question 1

If temporarily staying with relatives, provide information on family composition of the family relatives that the sponsored refugee(s) will be staying with and what current accommodation arrangements the relatives have. Also, provide details on the time frame when you anticipate that permanent accommodation will be found and what type of accommodation you are looking for e.g. house or apartment.

Question 2

Indicate the names of the individuals that will be volunteering and what tasks they will be assisting with e.g. arrival, Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.) application, Health card application, medical appointments, etc.

Question 3a

Upon indicating the settlement agency, indicate what service(s) the refugee(s) will be obtaining from that agency e.g. Language training, translation of documents, etc.

Question 3b

If you have not contacted any agencies to provide settlement support, indicate when you plan on making this contact. If you have contacted some agencies, indicate the date, the name of the person you made contact with and in regards to what services.

Also, indicate if you have dealt with these agencies in the past and what type of services your sponsored refugees have accessed from them.

Question 4

Some contingency plans can include scenarios such as the refugee(s) was or were originally supposed to reside with a relative in Canada upon arrival; however, they choose to reside on their own for the duration of the sponsorship period. Provide some details as to how you will provide support for the additional costs that will occur. Another scenario could be that the refugee(s) choose to move to a different city. Provide some details as to how you will continue to provide the required assistance.

Section D – Signatures

All group representatives (if applicable) must sign the Settlement Plan.

Note: By signing this form, the sponsoring group is indicating that it is aware of the terms of the settlement arrangements and is committed to fulfilling them.

Sponsor Assessment (IMM 5492)

Who must fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by the:

  • Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH) – (unless the form is kept on file with IRCC)
  • Constituent Group (if applicable)

What is it?

All persons who intend to sponsor refugees must meet the sponsor eligibility criteria established by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Each party to the sponsorship (those who sign the undertaking) must complete the Sponsor Assessment (PDF, 1.23 MB) to confirm their eligibility.

Individuals who are deemed ineligible to sponsor will have their applications returned to them. If you wish to clarify your response to a certain question, provide details on a separate sheet.

Group members may wish to submit their Sponsor Assessment in a sealed envelope to ensure confidentiality. Be advised that the local IRCC office reserves the right to require official documentation to support any aspect of your Sponsor Assessment.

Note: The representative of a Sponsorship Agreement Holder may complete the Sponsor Assessment form and submit it to IRCC National Headquarters to be kept on file instead of having to complete the form for each sponsorship application.

Section A

Write the name of the sponsoring group (print clearly).

Section B

Write the last name (surname/family name) and given name(s) of the sponsor representative or individual sponsor (print clearly).

Section C

Write any other name(s) used (including birth name, maiden, previous married name(s), aliases and nicknames) of the sponsor representative or individual sponsor (print clearly).

Section D

Check the box to indicate if you are at least 18 years of age or older.

Section E

Check the box to indicate if you are a Canadian citizen, a registered Indian or a permanent resident.

Section F

Check the box to indicate if you or your representatives reside in the expected community of resettlement.

Section G

Check the box if you have been convicted, in Canada of the offence of murder or an offence set out in the schedule I or II of the Corrections and Conditional Release Act.


Check the box if you have been convicted of an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada would constitute one of the offences referred to above.

Note: the schedules I and II are attached with the form.

Section H

Check the box to indicate if you are in default of any court-ordered support payment obligations.

Section I

Check the box to indicate if you are currently detained in any penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison.

Section J

Check the box to indicate if you have ever been ordered to leave Canada.

Section K

Check the box to indicate if you are subject to any revocation proceedings under the Citizenship Act.

Note: You must sign and date the application.

Request for a Joint Assistance Sponsorship Refugee Profile (IMM 5504)

Who must fill out this application form?

Complete this form if your group would like to receive a refugee profile(s). If you are a Constituent Group, consult with your Sponsorship Agreement Holder before you request a profile of a refugee(s).

This form must be completed by the:

  • The Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH)
  • The Constituent Group (CG) (if applicable)

A – Type of Family/Individual You Wish to Sponsor

In this section your group can indicate limitations you have regarding family size, composition, and country of origin of the refugee(s) you can accommodate. Indicate the reasons for your limitations and/or preferences (for example: Spanish-speaking because your group has a number of people who can act as interpreters).

The Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) will do its best to match refugees using the information provided by your group. Be aware that the more flexible your group is regarding the refugee(s) you can settle, the more quickly a potential profile can be sent to you.

B – Information on Sponsoring Group

Share relevant background information (personal and professional) about your group that will facilitate the matching process. Helpful information would include any experience or skills group members have with special needs.

C – Information on Your Community

Provide information about the receiving community. This information is essential in finding refugee applicant(s) who will adapt quickly and successfully to life in the community.

Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)

Who may use this form?

Complete this form only if you:

  • are appointing a representative;
  • have to update contact information for your previously appointed representative; or
  • are cancelling a representative’s appointment.

If you have dependent children aged 18 years or older, they are required to complete their own copy of this form if a representative is also conducting business on their behalf.

Who is a representative?

A representative is someone who provides advice, consultation, or guidance to you at any stage of the application process, or in a proceeding and, if you appoint them as your representative by filling out this form, has your permission to conduct business on your behalf with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

You are not obliged to hire a representative. We treat everyone equally, whether they use the service of a representative or not.

When you appoint a representative:

  • you also authorize IRCC and CBSA to share information from your case file with this person in place of you. Please note the representative will receive all correspondence from IRCC or the CBSA, not the applicant;
  • your application will not be given special attention nor can you expect faster processing or a more favourable outcome;
  • the representative is authorized to represent you only on citizenship or immigration matters related to the application you submit with this form; and
  • you can appoint only one (1) representative for each application you submit.

Important information: You must notify IRCC if your representative’s contact information changes, or if you change your representative, or cancel the appointment of your representative. For more information on updating IRCC with your representative’s information, please see below section - Notify IRCC about any changes.

There are two (2) types of representatives.

Uncompensated Representatives:

Uncompensated representatives do not charge fees or receive any other form of consideration or compensation for providing advice or services to represent you before IRCC or the CBSA.

Uncompensated representatives include:

  • Friends, family members or other third parties who do not, and will not, charge a fee or receive any other consideration for their advice and services;
  • consultants, lawyers and Quebec notaries, and students-at-law under their supervision, who do not, and will not, charge a fee or receive any other consideration to represent you.

Note: You do not have to pay someone for them to be your representative. IRCC will conduct business with an uncompensated representative if an applicant appoints them on their behalf.

Compensated representatives:

Compensated representatives charge a fee or receive some other form of consideration in exchange for the representation that they provide.

It is important to know that anyone who represents or advises you for payment - or offers to do so - in connection with IRCC proceedings or applications is breaking the law unless they are an authorized representative or they have a specific agreement or arrangement with the Government of Canada that allows them to represent or advise you. This applies to advice or consultation which happens before or after a citizenship or an immigration application is made or a proceeding begins.

IRCC will only conduct business with compensated representatives who are in good standing with their designated regulatory body. For more information see - Find out if your representative is authorized.

Note: If a representative is being paid or compensated by someone other than you, the representative is still considered to be a compensated representative.

Authorized representatives are:

  • consultants who are members in good standing of the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC);
  • lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society and students-at-law under their supervision;
  • notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec and students-at-law under their supervision.

If you appoint a compensated representative who is not a member in good standing of one of these designated bodies, your application will be returned. Learn about using a representative.

General Application Information

Appoint a representative
  • Check box to indicate if you are appointing a representative to represent you with your application process. Complete sections A, B and D.
Cancel a representative
  • Check box to indicate if you are canceling a representative. Complete sections A, C and D; and
  • Check both boxes and complete all sections if you are cancelling a representative and appointing a new one at the same time.

Section A – Applicant Information

Question 1

Write your last name (surname or family name) and given name(s).

Question 2

Write your date of birth.

Question 3
If you have already submitted your application, write:
  • the name of the office where the application was submitted; and
  • the type of application you have submitted.
Question 4

Write your IRCC’s Identification (ID) or Unique Client Identifier (UCI) number (if known). If you have not dealt with IRCC since 1973, you will not have a UCI or a Client ID.

Section B – Appointment of Representative

Question 5

Write your representative’s full name.

If your representative is a member of the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC), a law society or the Chambre des notaires du Québec, print their name as it appears on the organization’s membership list.

Question 6

Check one box to indicate if your representative is uncompensated or compensated.

If your representative is compensated, write the membership ID number of:
Question 7

Write your representative’s contact information.

If you are appointing a student-at-law to represent you, include their supervising lawyer’s information including their membership ID.

Note: By indicating your representative’s e-mail address, you are hereby authorizing IRCC to transmit your file and personal information to this specific e-mail address.

Question 8

To accept responsibility for conducting business on your behalf, your representative must:

  • sign the declaration; and
  • date the declaration.

Section C – Cancel the Appointment of a Representative

Question 9

Fill in this section if you wish to cancel the appointment of a representative. Write the representative’s full name.

Complete all sections of the form if you wish to both cancel a representative and appoint a new one.

Section D – Your Declaration

Question 10

By signing, you authorize IRCC to complete your request for yourself and your dependent children under 18 years of age.

For sponsorship application, your spouse or common-law partner does not have to complete a separate request. If your spouse or common-law partner is included in this request, they must sign in the box provided.

Release of information to other individuals

To authorize IRCC to release information from your case file to someone other than a representative, you will need to complete the form Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual [IMM 5475] (PDF, 593.57 KB).

The person you designate under that form (IMM 5475) will be able to obtain information on your case file, such as the status of your application. However, they will not be able to conduct business on your behalf with IRCC.

Where to submit the IMM 5475 and IMM 5476 forms

Paper applications

If you have not yet submitted your immigration or citizenship application:

Send this form along with your application to the office listed in the guide of your application.

If you have already submitted your immigration or citizenship application:

You may use this Web form to upload IMM 5475 or IMM 5476.


If you know which IRCC office is processing your immigration or citizenship application, send the completed form to the office mailing address. Consult IRCC office mailing addresses.

Online applications

If you have not yet submitted your immigration or citizenship application:

Upload this form along with your online application

If you have already submitted your immigration or citizenship application:

You may use this Web form to upload IMM 5475 or IMM 5476.

Notify IRCC about any changes

You must let IRCC know if any information changes regarding the person you authorized to represent you on your application.

Step 3. Mail the Application

Where to mail the application

Mail your completed application in a stamped envelope to the address shown below:

Affix sufficient postage (top right of the envelope)

Sender (top left of the envelope)
(Your name)
(Your Address)
(Your Postal Code)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Resettlement Operations Centre in Ottawa (ROC-O) New
365 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1L1

Send the document checklist

Make sure you use the document checklist and include it with your application.


Sign the form

The application must be signed and dated before it is submitted.

If you are:

  • 18 years of age or older, sign and date in the boxes provided at the bottom of the page,
  • less than 18 years of age, your form must be signed by one of your parents or legal guardian.

Note: If your application is not signed and dated, it will be returned to you.

Submit the application form

When submitting your application, to ensure your encoded data is captured, you must include the last page or pages which contain your unique barcodes. See the image below:

Sample Barcodes

Note: This page is only available when you complete your application electronically (on a computer).

What happens next?

Application process

Upon receipt of a completed and signed JAS sponsorship application, your group can expect:

  • a letter from the Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O) advising if the JAS sponsorship application is approved or refused. This letter will be sent to you within 30 working days of IRCC receiving the sponsorship application.
  • If the processing of your application has not been finalized within those 30 days, you will receive a letter with the estimated processing time.

If the sponsorship application has been approved, the group will receive a letter that includes:

  • an IRCC file number
  • information regarding the approximate time it will take to process the application abroad

Note: The sponsoring group can expect a Notice of Arrival Transmission (NAT) advising when the refugee will arrive in Canada.

The sponsorship may be monitored after the refugee has arrived. This might be an in-person meeting, a survey or a phone call.

Important information

Updating your contact information

While your application is in process, you must tell us if you change your address, e-mail address, or telephone number. Use the Change your address tool to give us your new contact information.

Checking application status on line

You can check the status of your application on-line by doing the following:

  1. Go to our website;
  2. Select Check Application Status;
  3. Follow the instructions provided.

Note: Your application status will only appear on-line once the initial review is completed.

To obtain details on how to remove your application status information from the Internet, visit the “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQ) section.

Protecting your information

Your personal information is:

  • available to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) employees who need to see it to provide the services to you, and
  • not disclosed to other organizations except as permitted under the provisions of the Privacy Act or the Citizenship Regulations.

For more information about the protection of your data, visit the Frequently Asked Questions/Help Centre.

Quality Assurance Program

Our quality assurance program randomly chooses applications for a special review. If chosen, we will ask you to attend an interview with an IRCC official to:

  • verify that the documentation and any other information you submitted is accurate,
  • verify that your application has been completed properly.

Note: We will notify you in writing if your application is chosen.

Need help?

If you need help, you can find answers to your questions by visiting the Help Centre.

Email address for the Resettlement Operations Centre – Ottawa (ROC-O):

Appendix A – Start-up costs

Sponsoring groups might find it useful for their own planning purposes to be aware of the financial assistance we provide to government-assisted refugees in order to cover standard household start-up costs. The following information describes some of the various needs that are considered when we establish the amount for the initial start-up cheque. Individual start-up costs with established maximums:

Clothing: a one-time basic clothing allowance is provided.

  • $325 per adult
  • $250 per dependent child

Winter Clothing: winter coat, winter boots, mittens, scarf, snow pants for children, etc.

  • $175 per adult
  • $125 per dependent child

Basic Household Needs Allowance: Suggested items include: beds, table and chairs, bed linens, basic window coverings and common household products such as kitchen utensils, pots, pans, brooms, mops, detergents and cleansers.

The following maximum allowance rates apply:

  • Per single without accompanying dependents $1,330
  • Per single plus one dependent $2,340
  • Per single plus two dependents $2,665
  • Per couple without accompanying dependents $1,960
  • Per couple plus one accompanying dependent $2,455
  • Per couple plus two accompanying dependents $2,945
  • Per couple plus three accompanying dependents $3,515
  • For each additional dependent $350

Food Staples: flour, sugar, rice, spices and condiments, etc.

  • $175 for the first person in each household
  • $75 for each additional dependent (no maximum)

School Start-Up allowance: an allowance of $150 for school-age children and young adults attending K-13, between the ages of 4-21 to defray costs for school supplies, activity fees, gym clothing, etc.

It is normally issued on a one-time basis and should be included in the entitlement payment for the month of August or later during the school year. However, some families may require this amount twice if the entitlement period covers two school years. This allowance does not apply to those in LINC or ESL-related classes.

Assistance Loan: The initial start-up cheque could include an assistance loan for the security deposit or last month’s rent, for telephone deposit and for a deposit to the utility company where required.

Maternity Allowance: On receipt of a physician’s letter confirming pregnancy, a one time $200 additional clothing allowance and $75 per month allowance to assist with special dietary needs may be approved. This allowance may be issued for a maximum of nine months within the entitlement period or until the birth of a baby, whichever comes first.

Newborn Allowance: About two months prior to the expected due date, the client may be issued $750 to purchase clothing, furniture, etc. for the baby. This allowance can be issued if the due date (provided in writing from a physician) is not more than 3 weeks after the last date of the entitlement period.

Special Diet Allowance: This allowance is paid to individuals who provide a letter from a physician. The maximum allowable is $100 per month above the normal food and incidental rate.

Transportation Allowance: An allowance for transportation may be provided based upon the current cost of monthly public transportation. The transportation allowance is determined on a case-by-case basis depending on the needs of the client. For example, depending on where the client lives, they may require either a single or multi-zone pass. Only those clients who are of the age of majority in the province/territories of residence are eligible to receive a transportation allowance. In areas where public transportation is not available, a maximum rate of $50 per month per eligible client can be used as the basis for calculating the allowance.


Find out if you are eligible

Page details

Date modified: