Guide 5551 - Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada - online application

You’re seeing the instructions to apply online.

Most people must apply online.

If you can’t apply online because of a disability or because there is a problem with the online application, you can apply on paper.

Show instructions to apply on paper

This is not a legal document. The explanations and definitions are not legal definitions. In case of a discrepancy between the language in this document and the relevant legislation or regulations, the legal text in the legislation and regulations prevails.

For legal information, consult the following documents:

Alternative formats

If you can’t apply online or use the forms mentioned in this guide because of a disability, you can ask for other formats including large print and braille. Contact the Client Support Centre (in Canada only) or submit a Web form for other formats.


This guide is designed to help you determine if you are eligible to apply for an extension or change conditions of your stay in Canada as a visitor. It provides all the necessary information, instructions, and application forms for you to complete and submit.

Use this guide if you are a temporary resident who is already in Canada and you want to:

  • extend your stay (get a visitor record),
  • change the conditions of your stay, or
  • correct problems with your status.

It is important to apply for the change before your current status expires.

You cannot apply for an initial Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) using this application guide. The application for an initial TRV is always made outside Canada and the TRV is issued outside of Canada. The application for an eTA must be made online. For more information, visit Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). For further information on applying for a TRV, refer to the Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa – TRV) or contact the Canadian consulate, embassy or high commission responsible for your area of residence.

When to give your biometrics

You only need to give your biometrics once every 10 years. However, we can’t issue a visa or permit longer than 10 years from the last date you gave your biometrics.

Check when your biometrics expire.

Extend the validity of your biometrics

If you want a visa or permit for longer than 10 years from the last date you gave your biometrics, you can choose to give your biometrics again when you apply. You can give your biometrics again even if they’re still valid.

Follow these steps when you apply for your visa or permit:

  1. Pay the biometrics fee when you apply.
  2. Wait for your biometric instruction letter (BIL). You must use the BIL that was issued for this application.
  3. Book an appointment and visit an official biometric collection location to give your biometrics again.

Where to give your biometrics

You need to book an appointment to give your biometrics at one of these official biometric collection service points.

Determining eligibility

Visitors are a class of temporary resident who are legally authorized to enter Canada temporarily to holiday, visit family, conduct business, etc. They are restricted in length of stay and are subject to various other conditions.

If your current temporary resident status is still valid you can apply for an extension of your stay. For any permit, you should always apply at least 30 days before your current status expires. Your original temporary status as a visitor continues under the same conditions until your application is finalized and you have been notified of the decision.

Note: The validity of your temporary resident status cannot exceed the validity of your passport. Therefore, you should ensure that your passport will be valid for at least the same amount of time as your requested extension.

Each member of your immediate family (spouse or common-law partner, dependent children) who wishes to remain longer in Canada must apply for permission to do so. If you all apply at the same time for an extension, each person has to submit a separate application form. All appropriate documentation and the required fee for each person must also be included.

If your status has expired or if you did not respect one of the conditions of your permit or you have worked or studied without a required permit, you have committed an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. You may be subject to an admissibility hearing that could lead to removal from Canada. If your temporary resident status has expired, do not apply for an extension as you are not eligible. However, if you wish to stay in Canada after your status has expired you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your offence (loss of status) or you must leave Canada. If you wish to apply for restoration, complete the enclosed application providing full details of how you came to commit the offence. There is no guarantee that your application will be accepted. See the section Restoration of Status.

It is illegal to remain in Canada beyond the validity of your status in Canada.

It is illegal to work without a required work permit.

It is illegal to study without a required study permit.

After reading this guide, if you believe you are eligible to apply then you should proceed as instructed below:

  • Gather all the necessary documents. They are listed on the Document Checklist [IMM 5558] (PDF, 289.24 KB).

    Note: You will received a personalized document checklist when you apply online.

  • Pay the fees.
  • Fill in the forms carefully and completely. Keep a copy for your records.
  • Sign and date your forms.
  • Submit your application, required fees and all supporting documents online.

Processing times for your application

The Case Processing Centre will review your application to determine if it is complete.

Note: If your application is rejected as “incomplete”, it is considered to have never been submitted and therefore you would not be able to maintain your status. If you reapply after your current status has expired, you will need to apply for restoration of status. See the section Restoration of Status.

If your application is complete, the Case Processing Centre will send you either:

  • a visitor record, a new work permit or a new study permit; or
  • a letter refusing your application; or
  • notification that your application has been referred to a local Canada Immigration Centre for further assessment.

If your application is referred to a local office, they will contact you to obtain additional information or clarification and if required, invite you to an interview. It may take up to three months for them to contact you.

Once they receive the additional information or clarification, the local office will complete the final stages of processing. The local office will notify you by mail of their decision.

Note: The Case Processing Centre receives large volumes of applications in the temporary resident categories each year. It is recommended that you apply at least 30 days before the expiry of your current document. However, you may want to apply in advance of this recommended period since processing times vary. Check our current processing times.

Parents and Grandparents

Parents and Grandparents already in Canada on a temporary resident status may apply to extend their stay through the Case Processing Centre by using this application package.

Status in Canada

Who receives temporary resident status?

All persons authorized to enter Canada who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents are authorized to enter as temporary residents as a visitor, student or worker. When they enter Canada they are given temporary resident status for a limited period of time.

How do I know the expiry date of my temporary resident status?

1. Temporary residents travelling with passports:

When you arrived in Canada and gave your passport to the officer, they authorized your stay by placing a stamp in your passport and/or issuing an additional document. Check your passport. If you find a stamp, it should look like one of these.


For example, if the officer specified a date as shown in the above illustration, your temporary resident status would expire on June 30th, 1993.

If there is no stamp, a handwritten date or document in your passport, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

If you were given a visitor record, study or work permit, the expiry date is marked on the document.

When applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada, you are required to submit photocopies of passport pages clearly showing the stamp made by Canadian authorities on your most recent entry to Canada.


  • For applicants who require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada: Applying for a change of condition or an extension of your stay does not affect your TRV. It is your responsibility to ensure your TRV remains valid if you wish to re-enter Canada. After leaving, you must apply for and obtain a TRV abroad by applying to a Canadian visa office (see Application for Temporary Resident Visa).
  • For applicants who require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada: The renewal of a study or work permit does not affect your eTA. It is your responsibility to ensure your eTA remains valid if you wish to re-enter Canada. While residing in Canada and holding a valid study or work permit, you may apply online for an eTA.  For more information, visit Electronic Travel Authorization.

2. Temporary residents travelling without passports:

If you did not require a passport to enter Canada, your temporary resident status will expire six months from the day you entered Canada unless you were given a visitor record, study or work permit. If you were given a document, the expiry date is marked on it.

What information do I need to apply for an extension of my temporary status?

  1. Full details on why you want to stay longer;
  2. Proof of identity;
  3. Proof of current status in Canada;
  4. Evidence on how you will support yourself or be supported in Canada and how you will pay for transportation to leave Canada, such as:
    • Guarantor’s letter
    • Bank statement indicating the account holder’s name and the account number
    • Details about your plans to leave Canada, particularly the date and time of departure and the means of transportation.

May I apply more than once for an extension of my temporary resident status?

You may apply as many times as you wish, but each time that you apply, you must complete a new application and pay the fee. You must also demonstrate that your residence in Canada is still temporary.

May I leave Canada before my request for a renewed or initial work permit has been finalized?

Yes. However, if you leave temporarily and you do not have a new document to re-enter Canada, you will have to re-apply (either at the port of entry, if you have the right to do so, or at a visa office) and pay another processing fee to receive a decision.

May I leave, then re-enter Canada?

In order to return to Canada, you must be in possession of a valid passport or travel document. You also need to hold a valid study or work permit if you are returning to study or work in Canada.

If you are a citizen of a country or territory that requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an eTA to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa or an eTA to return, unless:

  • you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and
  • you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.

Possession of these documents does not guarantee re-entry. All persons must establish that they meet all of the requirements of The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.


It is possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is always made by the officer at the port of entry.

Citizens of the United States (U.S.) do not require passports or travel documents to enter or return to Canada. Lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must apply for and obtain an eTA if they are entering Canada from the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon by air. Both U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents of the U.S. must provide documentary proof of citizenship or permanent residence such as a national identity card or an alien registration card.

Restoration of status

You may be able to restore your status as a visitor, student or worker within 90 days of losing it, if you lost it because:

  • you stayed in Canada longer than the period authorized for your stay (but not longer than 90 days).
  • you changed employers, location of employment, or type of work (occupation or level of responsibility) before getting a new work permit.
  • you changed the type of studies, educational institutions, location of studies, or times and periods of studies without applying to change these conditions on your study permit if they were specified on your study permit.

You may still be eligible for restoration if you continue to meet the initial requirements for your stay and have not failed to comply with other conditions imposed.

If you wish to obtain a new study or work permit and restore your temporary resident status, you must

  • submit your application within 90 days of losing your status
  • provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that resulted in you committing the offence
  • keep meeting the requirements for your stay
  • meet all the conditions listed on your permit, and
  • pay the restoration fee ($229)

Restoration applies to each family member who has lost their status. There is no guarantee that we will accept your application.

An officer will evaluate your request for restoration of status and if approved will process your application for a study or work permit. You will then be advised of any further action to be taken.

Note: You may not study or work in Canada until your application for restoration has been processed.

Completing the forms

This application package includes:

Use the Document Checklist [IMM 5558] (opens in a new tab) to assist you in gathering the supporting documents to submit with your application.

Note: You will received a personalized document checklist when you apply online.

The documentation you provide will be used to establish that your authorization to remain in Canada would not be contrary to the Act. You must provide truthful, accurate information. The information provided may be verified. Processing will stop immediately if you give false or misleading information. It is an offence under section 127 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to knowingly make a false statement on this form.

If you do not have a Unique Client Identifier (UCI), please leave the space empty.

Venezuelan passport holders

You may need to complete extra steps when you fill out your application.

Use of a Representative (IMM 5476)

Who may use this form?

Fill out this form only if you:

  • are appointing a representative;
  • need to update contact information for your previously appointed representative; or
  • are cancelling a representative’s appointment.

If you have dependent children aged 18 years or older, they must fill out their own copy of this form if a representative is also conducting business on their behalf.

Who is a representative?

A representative is someone who:

  • you have appointed by completing the IMM 5476 form;
  • gives advice, consultation, or guidance to you at any stage of the application process; and
  • has your consent to conduct business on your behalf with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).

You are not obliged to hire a representative. We treat everyone equally, whether they use the service of a representative or not.

For more information, see: Use of a Representative.

Notify IRCC about any changes

You must use this Web form to tell us if any information changes regarding the person you authorized to represent you on your application.

Paying the fees

Required fees

When you apply online, you’ll be asked to pay a Processing Fee for each service that you require. All fees must be submitted with your application. For information including eligibility, fees and required documents for working or studying in Canada, refer to the guides:

You can also consult the Help Centre.

You may submit an application for any of, or a combination of the following services:

  • Extension of temporary resident status
  • Restoration of temporary resident status (due to loss of status as a visitor, student, worker)

Note: It is not necessary to make a separate application for an extension of temporary resident status when you apply for a work or study permit. The officer will issue all the necessary documentation with one application.

Use this chart to verify the fees required for the service you are requesting. If you or your family members are applying for other services, you can pay the fees all together.

Application $CAN
Extend your stay as a visitor – per person $100

Restore your status as a visitor

Visa fee not needed

Biometrics fees $CAN
Biometrics (per person) 85
Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)

Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place


Make sure that you are eligible before you pay your fees and that you provide all the information requested before you submit the application. The processing fee will not be refunded, regardless of the final decision once the Case Processing Centre has started processing the application. For example, if your temporary resident status has expired and you incorrectly apply for an extension of temporary resident status, no refund for the extension will be provided and you will be asked to provide a second fee for the restoration. A determination that you are not eligible for the extension of temporary resident status is considered as “processing” and the fee will not be refunded. If you apply again, you will have to pay another processing fee.

How to pay the fees for your application

To pay your fees online in your account, you must have a valid credit card.

You must create an account to register or sign in using GCKey or Sign In Partner.

Incorrect fee payment

Incorrect fee payments may delay processing of your application.

Payment issue – No fee included

We will return your application.

Note: We will start processing your application after you return your application with the fees.

Payment issue – Not enough fees included

We will return your application and tell you of how much to pay.

Note: We will start processing your application once you return your application with the correct fees.

Payment issue – Overpayment

We will:

  • start processing your application, and
  • send you a refund.

Note: You do not have to ask for a refund, it will be done automatically.

Payment issue –Required biometric fee not included

We will:

  • tell you the fee amount and how to pay it.

Note: We will continue processing of your application after you send the missing fees.


To obtain a refund, you need to send a written request to withdraw your application to the Case Processing Centre.

The processing fee is only refundable if we receive your request before processing has begun. Once we have started to process your application, there will be no refunds regardless of the final decision. We will issue the refund to the person indicated on the “Payer Information” section of the receipt. If there is no name indicated on the receipt, we will send the refund to you.

Note: The process to request a refund depends on how you paid.

Submitting your application

Online Instructions

To apply online, you must have:

  • Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • A valid credit card to pay with

You will be required to create an online account profile and to register or log in using GCKey or Sign In Partner.

What happens next?

If you need to take any further action regarding your application, we will inform you in writing.

If the extension of your status as a visitor or temporary resident permit holder is granted, an immigration document will be sent to you. If your application is refused, you can only stay in Canada until the expiry date of your current temporary resident status.

If you applied for restoration of your temporary resident status, you will receive a letter advising you of the decision and instructions to follow.

If your application is rejected as “incomplete”, it is considered to have never been submitted and therefore you will have to re-apply. If your application is referred to a local office, you will be notified of this and will subsequently be contacted by this office.

There are certain things you can do to help ensure that your application is processed as fast as possible:

  • Ensure that all the documentation and information requested is provided with your application
  • Tell us if your contact information changes, including:
    • Mailing address
    • Telephone numbers
    • Facsimile number (fax)
    • E-mail address

Checking application status

See Check application status to find information on how to view your current status.

If you can’t view your current status, you may Contact Us to learn about your current status. To obtain details on how to remove your application status information from the Internet, visit the “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQ) section.


Find out if you are eligible

Page details

Date modified: