Apply for citizenship: Canadian Armed Forces

You can now choose to receive an electronic citizenship certificate (e-certificate) or a paper certificate. In your application form

  • choose the certificate type you want
  • make sure you provide an email address if you want an e-certificate
Applications submitted before January 4, 2023

We’re offering the e-certificate option to some applicants who submitted their applications before January 4, 2023.

If we offer you the e-certificate option, you

  • will receive an invitation by email
  • may accept or decline the invitation
    • If you accept the invitation, follow the email’s instructions for your next steps.
    • If you decline the invitation, you’ll get a paper certificate (opens in a new tab)  (if we approve your application).

You’ll only receive an e-certificate if

We cannot guarantee that we’ll approve your application or process it faster.

If your application is successful, the certificate proves that you’re a Canadian citizen.

Learn more about the e-certificate

If you’re a current or past member of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) you can apply for citizenship using a fast-track process.

This fast-track option lets us speed up the citizenship application process for:

  • permanent residents serving in the CAF
  • foreign military members on exchange with the CAF

You can use this application process if you are or were a:

  • member of the CAF
  • foreign military member who is or was attached or seconded to the CAF


To be eligible, you must:

  • meet all of the standard conditions to apply for citizenship (except for the residency requirement)
  • have completed three years (1,095 days) of service in or with the CAF in the six years (2,190 days) right before the date of your application
  • have met your personal income tax filing obligations in three taxation years that are fully or partially within the six years right before the date you apply

If you are no longer a member of the CAF, you must have been released honourably. If you were released other than honourably, you aren’t eligible to apply using the fast-track process.

If you were a foreign military member attached or seconded to the CAF, you don’t need to:

  • be a permanent resident
  • meet the tax filing obligation

Residency exception

If you’ve served for one year less than the standard residence requirement for citizenship, you may still qualify. The length of time you served in the CAF is used instead of the length of time you lived in Canada.

You’re able to count your time as a Regular or Reserve Force member regardless of if you were being paid as a full-time member or not. You can count time without pay as long as you were still a CAF member.


Page details

Date modified: