Find out if you’re eligible — Proof of citizenship

Note: You will be able to have your sex marked as X (unspecified) on your documents. Until then, once you get your PR card or citizenship certificate, you can apply for a supporting document that says your sex should be X. Find out more.

Any Canadian citizen may apply for a citizenship certificate. A parent may apply on behalf of a minor (under 18 years old).

You should apply if you want to:

  • make sure that you are a Canadian citizen
  • get proof to show you are a Canadian citizen
  • replace a lost, destroyed or stolen certificate
  • update your certificate, such as when you get a legal name change

Get a certificate for someone born in Canada

A provincial or territorial birth certificate should be enough to prove Canadian citizenship.

You may still apply for a citizenship certificate.

Get a certificate for someone born outside Canada

Some people born outside Canada to a Canadian parent became citizens at birth. For more information on the rules around citizenship by descent, see our changes to citizenship rules.

If you are not sure if you or your minor child are citizens, you can check by:

  • using the “Am I Canadian?” tool
  • applying for a citizenship certificate

If you apply for and receive Canadian citizenship (naturalization), you will receive a citizenship certificate at your citizenship ceremony. You do not need to apply for one.

We have stopped issuing citizenship cards

As of February 1, 2012, the citizenship certificate replaced the plastic wallet-sized citizenship card as proof of citizenship. We no longer give out citizenship cards or the commemorative certificates that came with them. If you apply to update or replace your citizenship card, we will send you a citizenship certificate.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: