Travel information

Travelling in general

Can I travel with my passport if it’s going to expire soon?

There isn’t a specific answer to this question. This is because each country has its own entry requirements.

Always check the entry and exit requirements for all countries you’re going to visit before making your plans. Then check your passport to see when it expires. This will tell you whether you need to renew your passport yet.

Does my passport need to be valid for at least six months before I enter a country I want to visit?

All countries have their own entry requirements. Read the travel advisories to view the entry and exit requirements of each country.

Since these requirements can change, you may also check with the Government of Canada office of the country you visit.

What if my passport expires while I am outside Canada?

You shouldn’t travel with a passport that will expire during your trip or shortly after your planned return. To avoid problems while travelling, you should get a new passport before leaving if your passport could expire around or during your travels.

Some countries won’t allow you to enter if your passport expires shortly after your planned return date. To find out more about entry and exit requirements, consult the:

Will I have problems if I travel with my current passport, but my other documents are in my married or common-law name?

You should make all travel arrangements in the name on your passport.

If the names don't match, you may have problems at border crossings or when boarding flights.

Check with the authorities in the destination country to find out if you need any other documents.

Travelling with children

Does my child need a consent letter if they aren’t travelling with a parent?

We strongly recommend that your child carry a consent letter if they’re travelling abroad:

  • alone
  • with:
    • a group
    • friends or relatives
    • only one parent/guardian

For the purposes of the consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence).

Learn more about children travelling abroad and get a sample consent letter at

Page details

Date modified: