Who can renew a passport
You can only renew your Canadian passport if your last passport
- was an adult passport that was issued
- when you were at least 16 years old and
- within 15 years of the date you apply for your renewal New
- was valid for 5 or 10 years
- has the same name, date of birth and place of birth as you want on your new passport
- has the same gender identifier as you want on your new passport
- It can be printed on your most recent passport or have the observation sticker.
When not to apply for renewal
Do not apply for a renewal if you
- currently have a child passport that was issued when you were under 16 years old
- You cannot renew a child passport.
- If you’re at least 16 years old and your child passport expired, you need an adult passport.
- want to change your name, date of birth, place of birth or gender identifier on the new passport
For these situations, you must apply for a new adult passport. You can apply for an adult passport
- Date modified: