Renew your passport: Who can renew
To renew your Canadian passport, your current passport must
- not be damaged
- not have been reported lost or stolen
- have been issued with a 5-year or 10-year validity
- have been issued when you were at least 16 years of age
- have the same name, date of birth and place of birth you want on your new passport
- have the same gender identifier you want on your new passport (either printed on your current passport or the observation sticker)
- have expired on or after February 1, 2019 New
You can also answer a few questions to see if you’re eligible.Find out if you can renew your passport
You now have extra time to renew your passport.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we extended the eligibility period for Canadian passport renewals. You may be able to renew your passport if it expired on or after February 1, 2019.
This change lets you wait to renew your passport until you have plans to travel.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: