Documents to support your identity – new adult passport applications

When applying for a new passport, you need to provide

  • at least 1 valid document to prove your identity
  • additional documents, if you’re changing your name

If your passport is still valid, you must submit it with any application, even if it’s not as proof of your identity.

Requirements for your identification document (ID)

Your ID must

  • include your
    • name
    • date of birth
    • photo
    • signature
  • be from a federal, provincial/territorial/state government authority or equivalent abroad

You may show more than 1 ID if all of the required information isn’t on a single ID.

Types of ID you can use

You can use any of the following:

  • military ID
  • driver's license issued by a province or territory, or the equivalent abroad
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • Canadian passport
  • foreign passport that meets the requirements
  • non-driver's license issued by a province or territory
  • ID card issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government
  • employee identification issued by the federal government, or a provincial or territorial government

If your identification isn’t in English or French, you must provide an official translation of your identification.

If your ID is expired and you can’t renew it due to COVID-19

If your expired ID meets the requirements, we’ll accept it as proof of your identity if the province, territory or state government that issued it has temporarily extended its validity.

However, this doesn’t apply to Canadian passports. You can’t use your passport as proof of your identity if it’s expired.

Using your Canadian passport as your ID

Your passport must be valid and you must also submit another piece of ID if either of the following are true:

  • your passport was issued to you before you turned 16
  • your passport was valid for less than 5 years

You can’t use your passport as your ID if it’s any of the following:

  • expired for more than 1 year
  • damaged
  • reported lost or stolen

If your passport has been expired for 1 year or less

You can send us the original or a photocopy of page 2 and 3 from it.

If you send us photocopies, you must have them signed and dated by a guarantor.

How to submit your documents

Whether you apply by mail or in person, you may submit original documents or photocopies. Original documents will be returned to you.

If you submit photocopies, copy both sides of the document. A guarantor must sign and date each side.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: