Documents to support your identity – adult passport applications
Are you changing your name? You need to submit additional documents if your name on your supporting document is different from your proof of citizenship. Read more about changing your name in your passport.
When applying for a passport, you need to provide at least one document to prove your identity. The identification document (ID) must:
- include your:
- date of birth
- valid (not expired)
- issued by a federal, provincial/territorial/state government authority or equivalent abroad
You may show more than one valid piece of ID if you don’t have a single one with all of the information we need.
IDs you can use include:
- military ID
- driver's license that is issued by a province or territory or the equivalent abroad
- Certificate of Indian Status
- Canadian passport
- foreign passport that meets the requirements
- non-driver's license issued by a province or territory
- ID card issued by the federal, provincial or territorial government
- employee identification issued by the federal, provincial or territorial government
Using your Canadian passport as identification
If your passport is still valid, you must submit it with your application.
You must submit an additional piece of identification, along with your valid passport, if:
- the passport was issued to you before you turned 16 years of age or
- the passport was issued to you with a period of validity of less than five (5) years
If the passport is expired for one year or less, we will accept a photocopy of page 2 and 3 signed and dated by a guarantor.
You can’t use your passport as identification if it’s:
- expired for more than one year or
If your identification isn’t in English or French, you must provide an official translation of your identification.
How to submit your documents
Whether you apply by mail or in person, you may submit original documents or photocopies. Original documents will be returned to you.
If you submit photocopies, copy both sides of the document. A guarantor must sign and date each side.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: