Name changes — Passports and travel documents

The surname (last name) and given names on your passport or travel document must be the same as the one on your birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate.

Caution about changing your name on a passport or other travel document

Be sure that you make all of your travel bookings, such as tickets and hotels, in the name that appears on your new passport.

If the name on the passport or travel document doesn't match your bookings, you could have issues such as:

  • countries not letting you in
  • travel companies not letting you board

This could happen even if you carry your marriage or civil partnership certificate with you.

Check with the consulate of the country you plan to visit or transit through, or your travel agent about your name change.

To change your name on your passport or travel document:

You may ask for your given name to be slightly different on your passport or travel document by doing the following:

  • dropping given names
  • reversing given names

Other reasons you may need to change your name are:

  • change in relationship
  • legal name change

Change of surname (last name) due to relationship status change

You need to apply for a new passport when changing your surname (last name) following a relationship status change, such as marriage or divorce. You will need to include all the required documents for a new adult general application and pay the full fee.

You also need to include one or more of the following documents, depending on the situation:

  • marriage certificate(s)
  • common-law relationship certificate(s)
  • court order issued in or outside Canada, such as:
    • separation agreement
    • divorce order/judgment
  • certificate(s) to dissolve a registered common-law relationship
  • resumption of surname certificate(s)

These documents must:

  • show the surname (last name) you’re asking to have on your new passport
  • be in English or French (see translations)

Your guarantor doesn’t need to sign a copy of the documents listed above.

The identification you provide with your application will need to show your new surname (last name).

Legal name changes

You must apply for a new passport or travel document if you’ve changed your name legally. You need to include all the required documents for a new adult general application (adult travel document application for non-Canadians) and pay the full fees.

You will also need to include one of the following documents issued in your new name:

  • your Canadian birth certificate or
  • your Canadian citizenship certificate
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: