Determine your eligibility – who can apply for a travel document

Canada issues two types of travel documents to non-Canadians:

  • refugee travel document: issued to protected persons in Canada, including convention refugees or persons in need of protection; and
  • certificate of identity: issued to eligible permanent residents of Canada who are not protected persons and are stateless or cannot obtain a national passport or travel document from any other source.

Contact us if you do not know your immigration status.

You have to be in Canada to apply for a travel document for you or your child.

Once we receive your application, we will determine whether to issue you a:

  • Refugee travel document; or
  • Certificate of identity

Travel documents for children

You may apply for a travel document for a child (under the age of 16) if you are:

  • one of the child’s parents and providing proof of parentage or
  • the child’s legal guardian and providing proof of legal guardianship or
  • the custodial parent in the case of separation or divorce and providing all legal documents
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: