Atlantic Immigration Program: How to get an educational credential assessment

On this page

Why you need an assessment

An educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, certificate (or other proof of your credential) is valid and equal to a Canadian one. You’ll need to get an ECA specifically for immigration purposes for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if you’re applying for the Atlantic Immigration Program.

The ECA report must show that your completed foreign credential (degree, diploma or certificate) is equal to a completed Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential.

You must submit an ECA for all levels of completed foreign education you want us to consider. It’s up to you to decide which credentials to have assessed by a designated organization.

We’ll only accept the ECA from one of the organizations we designate. The original ECA report must be issued on or after the date we designated the organization. Your ECA must be less than 5 years old when you apply.

Designated organizations

You must use one of these designated organizations

If you worked as a doctor or a pharmacist


You must get your report from the Medical Council of Canada (designated: April 17, 2013) if you worked as a


You must get your report from the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (professional body for Pharmacists) (designated: January 6, 2014) if you worked as a pharmacist (NOC code 31120).

Page details

Date modified: