Immigrate through the Atlantic Immigration Program: After you apply
On this page
- We review your application
- Keep your information up to date
- Get your fingerprints and photo taken
- We process your application
- Get your medical exam
- We verify your information
- We make a decision on your application
We review your application
We check that you have
- filled out your application for permanent residence completely and correctly
- paid your processing fee
- met all the requirements
- included all required documents
We’ll contact you to
- ask you to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics)
- confirm that we reviewed your application
- ask you for more documents, if necessary
- set up an interview, if necessary
- tell you what you need to do and what will happen next
- ask you to pay your right of permanent residence fee (if you haven’t already)
Keep your information up to date
To avoid delays in processing, make sure your contact information and application details are up to date.
You should tell us about any changes to your information, such as
- marriage, divorce or separation
- birth or adoption of a child
- death of an applicant or dependant
- contact information updates, including
- phone number
- mailing address
Contact us through the Web form to update your information.
If you change your contact information, make sure you check your old contact information until we update your application.
Get your fingerprints and photo taken
If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics).
- You must pay the biometric fee when you submit your application. Otherwise, you may experience delays.
- Pay your biometric fee as soon as you get the letter from us that tells you to give your biometrics.
- You have 30 days from the date on the letter to give your biometrics.
Temporary changes to biometrics
Book your biometric appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays.
If you can’t book an appointment by the deadline on your biometric instruction letter, there may be measures in place to help you.
We process your application
After we get your biometrics, we start processing your application.
If we need more information, we’ll contact you.
Get your medical exam
You must have a medical exam before you settle in Canada. Your family members must also have one, even if they’re not coming with you. We’ll tell you when to submit these documents.
We won’t accept your application if your health
- is a danger to Canada’s public health or safety
- would cause too much demand on health or social services in Canada
We verify your information
If you’re not truthful in your application for permanent residence, we may
- refuse your application
- find you inadmissible
- bar you from applying to come to Canada for any reason for 5 years
We make a decision on your application
We make a decision on your application based on
- whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the program
- whether you’re admissible to Canada, based on the results of your
- medical exam
- background checks
When a decision is made on your application, we’ll notify you.
If your application is refused, we send you a letter that tells you why. To be re-considered, you have to
- fill out and submit a new application
- meet the eligibility criteria
- be found admissible to Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: