Sponsor your relatives — Prepare for arrival
When you arrive in Canada, you must show your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa to a Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officer at the point of entry to Canada. The officer will make sure your travel and immigration documents are correct.
- The IRCC officer will check that your permanent resident visa has not expired. The expiry date is shown on the visa. You cannot use the visa after it expires. A permanent residence visa cannot be extended, so make sure you use it within the time limit.
- You must bring a valid passport from your home country with you. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service or public affairs passport.
- You will have to answer questions like the ones you answered on your Application for Permanent Residence in Canada. The IRCC officer asks these questions to verify information on the application.
- You must inform the IRCC officer of any funds you are bringing into Canada (cash, stocks, bonds, money orders, traveller’s cheques, etc.)
If there are no problems when you arrive in Canada, the IRCC officer will authorize you to enter Canada as a permanent resident. The officer will also use the address on your COPR to have your permanent resident card mailed to you. Make sure your Canadian address on the COPR is correct.
Permanent residents are given the permanent resident card as proof of their status in Canada. Your card will be mailed to your Canadian address after you arrive in Canada as a permanent resident.
Top questions about sponsoring your family
- I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada. Can they work while their application is being processed?
- For my IRCC spousal sponsorship application, what is a common-law partner?
- How long will it take to process my spousal sponsorship application?
- What are the changes to the spousal sponsorship program?
- Am I affected by the changes made to reduce spousal sponsorship wait times?
- How can I sponsor my spouse or children?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: