Sponsor your relatives: How to apply

There are two stages in the process for your eligible relatives to become permanent residents.

  1. You apply to sponsor your relatives.
  2. Your family members must apply for permanent residence.

You must send both your sponsorship application and the permanent residence application for your relatives at the same time.

To apply as a sponsor, you must be at least 18 years of age and a:

We’ll process your application to sponsor and write you to tell you if we approve your application.

How to apply

You must now apply online

As of September 23, 2022, it is now mandatory to apply online. 

If you can’t apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, you can ask for the application in another format (paper, braille or large print). 

The Instruction Guide (IMM 5196), will help you fill out the forms properly.

1. Apply to sponsor

You need a Document Checklist — Sponsor [IMM 5287] (PDF, 821.91 KB) 

Your visa office may also require additional documents.

Visa office instructions

The documents below have more detailed information for each visa office.

The sponsor must

The person you’re sponsoring (principal applicant) will

2. Steps for the sponsored person (or if under 18, their guardian or you on their behalf)

Sign in or create a Permanent residence online application portal account (opens in a new tab).

Fill out these digital forms online

The person who fills the forms will also need to upload the sponsor’s completed and signed forms.

Using an immigration representative

If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.

If you want to appoint someone to do business with us on your behalf, you must

An immigration representative (an immigration consultant or lawyer) can give you advice and help you with your application for a fee. But they can’t

A representative can fill out forms and communicate with us on your behalf through their own account. They can also

After you read the declaration, you must be the one who types your name. This is the legal requirement for your application to be considered “signed,” according to Canada’s immigration law.

Photo specifications

You need one photo for each person on your application.

Follow the instructions in the online application to scan and upload both sides of the photo.

Technical issues

If you’re having technical issues with the permanent residence online application portal, contact us using the web form

If you need to upload a number of images, find out how to combine them into 1 document.

Get fingerprints and photo taken

If you’re between 14 and 79 years old, you may need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics).

Find out if you need to give your biometrics

Pay fees online

Our permanent residence fees are increasing

The fees for all permanent residence applications are increasing on April 30, 2024. Find out more about how the fees are changing.

Find out how to pay fees.

Submit the online application

Before you submit the application, make sure you:

Page details

Date modified: