Prepare for arrival when sponsoring your spouse, partner or children

Video: Before You Arrive in Canada

This video will help you get ready for your new life in Canada. It will explain some of the things you should do before you leave your country of origin to make sure you are prepared when you arrive in Canada.

Alternative formats and transcript

Documents and declarations

When you arrive at the port of entry to Canada, you must show the border services officer your:

  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR)
    • this is the document we sent when we approved your application
  • valid passport or travel document
  • permanent resident visa counterfoil (if we issued you one), which must be valid
  • Quebec Selection Certificate, if you’re going to live in Quebec

Tell the officer of any funds you’re bringing into Canada, including:

  • cash
  • stocks
  • bonds
  • money orders
  • traveller’s cheques

Get more information on documents you need when crossing the Canadian border.

The border officer

The officer will:

  • check that your permanent resident visa and COPR haven’t expired
  • ask you to confirm information that you gave in your application

If satisfied that you meet the requirements to enter Canada, the officer will:


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: