Sponsor your spouse, partner or child: prepare for arrival
You need to use ArriveCAN
Use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information required for entry into Canada.
Make sure you’re using the newest version of ArriveCAN. If you previously submitted your information using an older version of ArriveCan, you must download the latest version and resubmit your information.
When your sponsored family members arrive at the port of entry to Canada, they must show the border services officer their:
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence
- This is the document we sent when we approved their application
- valid passport or travel document
- permanent resident visa (if we issued one), which must be valid
- Quebec Selection Certificate, if they’re going to live in Quebec
- any other document we issued to them and told you to bring
If your family members are already in Canada
They’ll have to meet an immigration officer to receive their permanent residence. We call this a landing interview. We’ll send them instructions about what documents to bring with them, and the time and place of their interview.
What happens at the border
The border officer will:
- check that their permanent resident visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence haven’t expired
- ask your family members to confirm information that they gave in their application
Your sponsored family members must tell the officer of any funds they’re bringing into Canada, including:
- money orders
- traveller’s cheques
If satisfied that they meet the requirements to enter Canada, the officer will:
Video: Before You Arrive in Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: