Sponsor your spouse, partner or child: how to apply
How to apply
To apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or child, there are 2 applications:
- You must apply to become a sponsor.
- Your spouse, partner or child must apply for permanent residence.
Send both the sponsorship and the permanent residence applications together at the same time.
If you want to sponsor your adopted child or an orphaned family member, follow the instructions to sponsor your adopted child instead.
If you live in Quebec, find out the steps to take to sponsor your spouse, partner or child in Quebec.
There are 4 steps to sponsor your spouse, partner or child:
1. Get the application package
The application package includes the:
- document checklist for you and the persons you want to sponsor
- forms you and the persons you want to sponsor need to fill out
- instruction guide to help you and your family members fill out the forms correctly
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The sponsorship application fee for processing your application can’t be refunded.
- you’re eligible to sponsor before you apply
- you list all your family members
- all the information on your application is true
- your application is complete
Helping your spouse, partner or child with their application?
There are certain steps you need to complete if you want to:
- prepare your family members’ application for them (this would mean that you’d be acting as their representative)
- check on their application status
You have to request permission and provide the right forms with your application.
Find out how to act as a representative or access your family members’ information.
2. Pay your application fees
In most cases, your fees will include:
- processing fees for you, the persons you’re sponsoring and their dependants
- the right of permanent residence fee
- the biometrics fee
You have to pay your fees online.
In most cases, you must pay a biometrics (fingerprints and photo) fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.
Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for:
The instruction guide can help you understand which fees apply to you and show you how to pay them.
3. Submit your application
The mailing instructions are in the application guide.
You may use a courier service to submit your application, if you want to. Courier services will help you track your application. You can also use regular mail.
We’ll return your application to you if:
- it’s incomplete
- fees are missing
4. Send us additional information during processing
During processing, we’ll ask the person you’re sponsoring to submit their:
- When the biometrics fee is paid, we’ll send your family members a letter asking them to give their biometrics.
- Your family members must show this letter when they give their biometrics.
- They have 30 days to give their biometrics in person at their closest collection point.
- medical exams
We’ll send instructions and let your family members how much time they have to send us this information.
You must tell us of any change in circumstances, such as:
- birth or adoption of children
- marriage or divorce or separation
- death of an applicant or dependant
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: