Sponsor your spouse, partner or children: who you can sponsor

Who you can sponsor

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children.

Your spouse

Your spouse can be either sex and must be:

Your common-law partner

Your common-law partner:

If you or your common-law partner choose to end the relationship, we consider the relationship to be over.

You’ll need to give proof of your common-law relationship.

Your conjugal partner

Your conjugal partner:

You’ll need to give proof that you could not live together or get married in your conjugal partner’s country (for example, proof of refused long-term stays in each other’s country).

Dependent children

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

With the exception of age, your dependent child must continue to meet these requirements until we finish processing your application.

Use our online tool to check if a child qualifies as a dependant.

If they qualify as a dependent child, you can sponsor

Eligibility of the people you’re sponsoring

To show they meet the eligibility requirements, your spouse, partner, dependent child and their dependent children (if applicable) must provide:

You can’t sponsor someone who is inadmissible to Canada. This means they’re not allowed to come to Canada.

Read more about eligibility requirements in the instruction guide.

Page details

Date modified: