Some immigration applicants can now apply online

We’re testing a new online application for some permanent immigration programs:

To try it, sign in or create a Permanent residence online application portal account.

Filling out forms

You’ll fill out these digital forms online

You or any family members coming with you must fill out the rest of the PDF forms in the instruction guide for your immigration program (below)

Technical issues

If you’re having technical issues with the permanent residence online application portal, contact us using the web form

Immigration representatives

If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.

If you want to appoint someone to do business with us on your behalf, you must

An immigration representative (an immigration consultant or lawyer) can give you advice and help you with your application for a fee. But they can’t

A representative can fill out forms and communicate with us on your behalf through their own account. They can also

If you’re using the portal to fill out and upload your forms and supporting documents, a representative could help you with the application using screen-sharing technology.

After you read the declaration, you must be the one who types your name and clicks the “submit” button. This is the legal requirement for your application to be considered “signed,” according to Canada’s immigration law.

Electronically sign your application

Photo specifications

You need one photo for each person on your application.

Follow the instructions in the online application to scan and upload both sides of your photo.

Applying for an open work permit as a spouse or common-law partner in Canada

You can’t apply for your open work permit online when you submit your in-Canada spousal application online. Find out how to submit your open work permit application.

Instruction guides

The instruction guide for your immigration program will help you fill out the forms properly.

Rural and northern immigration pilot instruction guide (IMM 0118) (opens in a new tab) 

Sponsor your spouse, partner or children instruction guide (IMM 5289) (opens in a new tab) 

Sponsor your parents or grandparents instruction guide (IMM 5772) (opens in a new tab) 

Quebec-selected skilled worker instruction guide (IMM EQ7000) (opens in a new tab) 

Quebec-selected self-employed instruction guide (IMM 4500) (opens in a new tab) 

Quebec-selected investors or entrepreneurs instruction guide (IMM 4000) (opens in a new tab) 

Self-employed person (federal) instruction guide (IMM 4500) (opens in a new tab) 

Humanitarian and compassionate grounds instruction guide (IMM 5291) (opens in a new tab) 

Protected persons and convention refugees instruction guide (IMM 5205) (opens in a new tab) 

Temporary resident permit holder instruction guide (IMM 5527) (opens in a new tab) 

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: