How to apply
Apply online using the permanent residence portal
Read the instruction guide for details on:
- how to fill out all the forms for your application
- what documents you need to include
We’ll accept and process applications on a first-in, first-out basis until the cap is reached. Once we are no longer accepting them, we’ll remove the option to apply for this from the portal.
We’ll collect biometrics and give you and your family immigration medical exams before you travel.
If you’re an unpaid representative for an applicant
The applicant needs to upload the Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB) form. You won’t be able to have access to the portal.
1. Complete your forms and get your documents
Use the checklist in our guide to make sure you include all the forms and documents you need.
Forms you’ll fill out directly in the portal
- Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669]
- Additional Family Information [IMM 5406]
Required form for your anchor person in Canada to fill out
PDF forms you’ll download and fill out
- Schedule 1 [IMM 5989] (PDF, 283 KB) – required
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB) – if it applies
- Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual [IMM 5475] (PDF, 593.57 KB) – if it applies
Supporting documents you need to upload
- 1 photo of you and each of your family members
- ID documents for you and each of your family members
- any other supporting documents mentioned in the guide
- Examples include civil documents, diplomas, membership cards and military documents.
If you want to use an immigration representative
If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.
If you want to appoint someone to do business with IRCC on your behalf, you must
- submit a Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB) form
- sign it digitally or by hand and get your immigration representative to do the same
- upload it with your application
An immigration representative (an immigration consultant or lawyer) can give you advice and help you with your application for a fee, but they can’t
- open a portal account on your behalf
- electronically sign the application for you
- sign into the portal using your username and password
A representative can fill out forms and communicate with IRCC on your behalf through their own account. They can also
- help you prepare the supporting documents you need to upload
- answer questions about the forms
After you read the declaration, you must be the one who types your name and clicks the “submit” button. This is the legal requirement for your application to be considered “signed,” according to Canada’s immigration law.
If you can’t apply online and need another way to apply
If you (or your representative) can’t apply online and need accommodations, including for a disability, you may ask for an alternate format.
After we review your request, we’ll send you the application package in one of these formats:
- large print
To request another format:
- Open a new email
- In the subject line of your email, include:
- the format you need (paper, braille, or large print), and
- the application package you want
- In the body of your email, include
- your full name as shown on your passport
- the full name of your anchor person in Canada
- a statement explaining that you’re asking for an alternate format
- if you want the application in English or French
- how we should send it to you (by email or regular mail)
- Include your email address if you want us to send it electronically so you can print it yourself. This will save you the time it would take to mail it.
- Include your mailing address if you want it mailed to you.
- Send your email to: IRCC.PRPortalALTRequest-DemandeALTPortailRP.IRCC@cic.gc.ca
We will only reply to requests for alternate formats. We won't reply to any other emails.
After we get your request, we’ll reply with instructions and tell you where to send your application.
To submit your application:
- fill out and sign any paper forms
- return the application by mail or courier to the mailing address provided in our instructions
For more information about applying with an alternate format, call 1-888-242-2100 (from inside Canada only).
If you’re having technical issues
If you’re having technical issues applying, contact us using the web form
- under type of application/enquiry, choose technical difficulties from the drop-down menu
- upload screenshots from your account that show us
- the page where you’re having problems
- the error message(s) you get
If you need to upload a number of images, find out how to combine them into 1 document.
2. Submit your application
Before you submit your application, make sure you:
- answer all questions on the forms
- electronically sign your application (type your full name exactly as shown on your passport)
- upload all supporting documents
If you submit an incomplete application, we won’t process it. We’ll return it to you and you’ll have to reapply.
Once you’ve completed your application, we’ll review it.
- Date modified: