Extend your stay as a visitor: Who can apply

Who can apply for a visitor record

This application process is for people who want to:

  • extend their stay in Canada as a visitor
  • change their permit type from
    • a study permit to a visitor record
    • a work permit to a visitor record

Who should apply for a visitor visa instead of a visitor record

You need a new visitor visa (not a visitor record) if you meet all the conditions below:

  • you’re already in Canada
  • you already hold a valid study or work permit
  • you want to leave and return to Canada
  • your existing visitor visa is expired or was valid for only one entry

When you apply to extend your stay as a visitor, we give you a visitor record. A visitor record doesn’t guarantee you can return to Canada. If you travel outside Canada or the United States, your visitor record will not be valid for entry. That’s why you need a visitor visa.

Apply for a visitor visa from inside Canada

When to apply

If you want to extend your stay as a visitor or change your type of permit, you should apply at least 30 days before your status expires.

The expiry date for your status is on:

  • the stamp in your passport (this is not the date included on your visitor visa)
    • if you don’t have a stamp in your passport, the expiry date is 6 months from the day you entered Canada
  • your study permit
  • your work permit or
  • your visitor record (if you’ve already extended your stay)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: