Temporary residents travelling outside Canada: What you need to re-enter to Canada

Travelling outside Canada

A visitor record says that you have visitor status in Canada and how long you can stay.

It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada.

If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you must meet our entry requirements to return to Canada.

Visa-required travellers

You need a valid visitor visa every time you want to enter Canada, unless you’re returning directly from a visit to the United States or Saint-Pierre and Miquelon.

If you’re not sure if you’re a visa-required traveller, find out if you need a visa.

Students and workers

You can apply for a new visitor visa from inside Canada if you meet all the conditions below:

Apply for a visitor visa from inside Canada.

Visa-exempt travellers

The documents you need to re-enter Canada depend on how you’ll travel to Canada.

Flying to a Canadian airport

If you already have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), your eTA is valid

Make sure you travel with the passport that’s linked to your eTA.

Arriving in Canada by bus, train or boat (including a cruise ship)

You just need to have a valid passport or travel document.

U.S citizens

You normally need a valid passport or travel document.

NEXUS members can use their membership card when they fly to a Canadian airport or arrive by car, train, bus or boat.

FAST members can use their membership card when travelling by car, train, bus or boat only.

For more information, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.

Page details

Date modified: