Extend your stay in Canada: How to apply
How to apply for a visitor record
In most cases, you must apply online to extend your stay as a visitor (get a visitor record).
If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States
You must meet our entry requirements to return to Canada.
When you apply online, we get your application instantly, which can help us process your application faster. If you already applied on paper, you don’t have to resubmit your application online.
How applying online helps you
- No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
- Your application may be processed more quickly.
- It helps you make sure your application is complete before you submit it.
- You can quickly submit more documents online (if we ask you to).
- You get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
Step 1: Make sure you have what you need
To apply online, you’ll need:
- a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents, and
- a valid credit or debit card.
Step 2: Read the instruction guide
Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction guide before you complete your application. The guide will explain how to complete each field on the form.
Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online tool
Before you can upload your forms, you must answer some questions. We use your answers to create a personalized document checklist for you. To apply for a visitor record, you must provide these answers in the online tool:
- For the first question “What would you like to do in Canada?”, select “Visit.”
- When asked “What is your current country/territory of residence?”, select “Canada.”
Step 4: Create your online account or sign in
You need an account to apply online. You can use your account to:
- pay your fees
- submit your application
- check your status
COVID-19: Changes to biometrics requirement for in-Canada temporary residence applicants
As a temporary measure, if you’re in Canada and applying to work, study or stay temporarily in Canada, you do not need to give your biometrics. Learn more about the exemption.
If you can’t apply online
You can submit a paper application in any of these situations:
- you can’t apply online because of a disability
- there’s a problem with the online application
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: