Apply – Extend your stay
1. Determine how you will apply
There are two ways you can apply:
To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. Determine your eligibility and apply online.
Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from CIC regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from CIC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from CIC are being sent, please check your myCIC account on a regular basis.
Apply on paper
Please follow steps 2 to 4 below.
2. Get the application package
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible to extend your stay before you apply.
The application form contains instructions. Read those instructions, and be sure to provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed.
Make sure you explain why you want to extend your visit in Canada. Collect all the documents you need. See the Application Guide for more information.
3. Pay your application fees
4. Submit your application
Submit your completed application to the address given in the application package. Make sure you include the fee receipt and all the necessary documents.
You can find information on how long it will take to process your application.
If you submitted your application to an office outside Canada, please note that the Call Centre does not have information about your application.
Top questions about visiting Canada
- How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?
- Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?
- What is the difference between a single and a multiple entry visa?
- Why was I issued a single entry visa instead of a multiple entry visa?
- How do I help a family member or friend apply to visit Canada?
- I have U.S. residency (Green Card). Do I need a visa to visit Canada or can I use my Green Card?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: